Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default planning rules????

MadJen wrote:
Hi O knowledgeable ones.....

I am hoping to have an extension on my house for my Aged P to live in
so I can look after him. It will consist of a living room/bedroom
with a bathroom and be a single storey.

There is an existing "sun room" (estate agents words) and shed where
the new extension will be, it will cover the same floor area. There
used to be an old brick built coal shed and wash house on the area
before that the exsisting structure replaced.

The neighbours house (that this will all join on to) is much longer
and taller than mine with no windows on the side of my proposed ext.
The new building will not take anyones light and will not encroach on
my garden (anymore than the exsisting stuff).

Has anyone had experience of planning departments and the planning
process in general? My council offer a free drop in thing to speak
"informally" to a planner, any idea what I need to take? Would some
pictures, a drawing of my own and an ordnance survey plan of my house
(from the council) be enough? I don't want to get proper drawings
done yet!

Take some photographs, from as many angles as you can, also take a brief
sketch of the outline of the proposed structure - this only needs to be a
rough sketch, but try to get the dimensions correct (ish)

And on the subject of drawings....roughly how much are they?

They vary from place to place, but around £300 should cover them.