Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Paint stripper + plastic / Hammerite

I've got a bit of metal with plastic bits attached (wind deflector for a car
sunroof). There's no obvious way to remove the plastic bits, and I don't
want to break them, as it'll mean a new part.

If I use a paint stripper like nitromors, am I likely to dissolve the
plastic? It's a fairly complicated shape but I could most likely remove a
fair bit of paint and surface rust with a dremel. I intend to paint it with
hammerite, but these things tend to spend a lot of time in water / damp.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Doki" writes:
I've got a bit of metal with plastic bits attached (wind deflector for a car
sunroof). There's no obvious way to remove the plastic bits, and I don't
want to break them, as it'll mean a new part.

If I use a paint stripper like nitromors, am I likely to dissolve the
plastic? It's a fairly complicated shape but I could most likely remove a
fair bit of paint and surface rust with a dremel. I intend to paint it with
hammerite, but these things tend to spend a lot of time in water / damp.

I took the house numbers off the front of the house and
left them in a bowl of paint stripper to clean off lots
of coats of paint. 10 minutes later, they were completely
gone.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doki wrote:

If I use a paint stripper like nitromors, am I likely to dissolve the
plastic?

Yes. It's the reason strippers come in metal containers
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 20:16:37 +0100, Doki wrote:

I've got a bit of metal with plastic bits attached (wind deflector for a car
sunroof). There's no obvious way to remove the plastic bits, and I don't
want to break them, as it'll mean a new part.

If I use a paint stripper like nitromors, am I likely to dissolve the
plastic? It's a fairly complicated shape but I could most likely remove a
fair bit of paint and surface rust with a dremel. I intend to paint it with
hammerite, but these things tend to spend a lot of time in water / damp.

You could try caustic soda

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 20:16:37 +0100, Doki wrote:

I've got a bit of metal with plastic bits attached (wind deflector for a car
sunroof). There's no obvious way to remove the plastic bits, and I don't
want to break them, as it'll mean a new part.

If I use a paint stripper like nitromors, am I likely to dissolve the
plastic? It's a fairly complicated shape but I could most likely remove a
fair bit of paint and surface rust with a dremel. I intend to paint it with
hammerite, but these things tend to spend a lot of time in water / damp.

You could try caustic soda

Yes, as long as it's an oil based paint. Won't touch acrylics although
it sometimes crazes the surface making it easier to remove by mechanical
means.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 20:16:37 +0100, "Doki" wrote:

I've got a bit of metal with plastic bits attached (wind deflector for a car
sunroof). There's no obvious way to remove the plastic bits, and I don't
want to break them, as it'll mean a new part.

If I use a paint stripper like nitromors, am I likely to dissolve the
plastic?

Probably not., but try it first. If a drop on the back doesn't damage
the surface before it evaporates, you're OK. If your plastic is opaque
polypropylene (typical car trim), then it should survive OK. If it's
polystyrene (most finely moulded parts like house numbers, car lights or
most transparent plastics) then it'll be gone in no time.

If car trim was sensitive to solvents, then we could solvent weld it to
repair it instead of having to do it with heat guns.

1200 degree High heat spray paint stinks, literally Dan Musicant Metalworking 11 August 21st 20 01:03 PM
Paint stripper ben UK diy 19 July 15th 05 12:24 PM
Rust Paint and Standard Paint. ACH Metalworking 2 July 4th 05 03:48 PM
Hardinge Paint Purchase (long) [email protected] Metalworking 2 April 21st 05 07:28 PM
Best way to paint peeling porch ceiling? DesignGuy Home Repair 2 April 16th 05 02:48 AM