Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default Paint stripper + plastic / Hammerite

On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 20:16:37 +0100, "Doki" wrote:

I've got a bit of metal with plastic bits attached (wind deflector for a car
sunroof). There's no obvious way to remove the plastic bits, and I don't
want to break them, as it'll mean a new part.

If I use a paint stripper like nitromors, am I likely to dissolve the
plastic?

Probably not., but try it first. If a drop on the back doesn't damage
the surface before it evaporates, you're OK. If your plastic is opaque
polypropylene (typical car trim), then it should survive OK. If it's
polystyrene (most finely moulded parts like house numbers, car lights or
most transparent plastics) then it'll be gone in no time.

If car trim was sensitive to solvents, then we could solvent weld it to
repair it instead of having to do it with heat guns.