Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Default Lidl Specials

Hi

Picked up an angle grinder stand today from Lidl £5:99. Superb. Better
made that the one I saw at Axminster for £18 a while back.

I also picked up a pair of the DIY stands last time they were on offer @
£3:99 each. Really strong & well made, I've used them a lot.

Spotlights & portable workbench both look good as well, but I already have
some.

Offers end Monday.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi

Picked up an angle grinder stand today from Lidl £5:99. Superb.
Better made that the one I saw at Axminster for £18 a while back.

I also picked up a pair of the DIY stands last time they were on
offer @ £3:99 each. Really strong & well made, I've used them a lot.

Spotlights & portable workbench both look good as well, but I already
have some.

Offers end Monday.

I bagged 4 x 750mm long ratchet clamps for £2.99 each

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I bought:

Wind-up LED torch - nice.
Allen key set - quite nice.
Set of electricians pliers - reasonable.
Moving skates/lifting bar - joke item - it's going back.
DIY stands - also in my opinion too insubstantial (won't stand a
rocking motion from sawing a heavy timber etc) - also going back.

I guess it's horses for courses - the lifting/loading type stuff will
only get heavyweight use from me - I really need to make my own rather
than whine about lidl stuff.

The other stuff above is back-up tool kit or occassional use for me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

.. wrote:

I bagged 4 x 750mm long ratchet clamps for £2.99 each

You'll be sorry. :-(

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. uk...

I also picked up a pair of the DIY stands last time they were on offer @
£3:99 each. Really strong & well made, I've used them a lot.

Spouse went at opening time this morning and picked up three stands, two for
a son and one for him, from a great stack in a bin. When he passed by a few
minutes later there were three left ...

Spotlights & portable workbench both look good as well, but I already have
some.

That's the trouble, there's no point in duplication for most things.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message .com
from " contains these words:

DIY stands - also in my opinion too insubstantial (won't stand a
rocking motion from sawing a heavy timber etc) - also going back.

Aldi had some height-adjustable stands the other day. I got a couple and
they're very solid.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Guy King wrote:
The message .com
from " contains these words:

DIY stands - also in my opinion too insubstantial (won't stand a
rocking motion from sawing a heavy timber etc) - also going back.

Aldi had some height-adjustable stands the other day. I got a couple
and they're very solid.

They also had five *G*clamps for 6GBP 2 large,2 medium and one small good
value.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
. wrote:

I bagged 4 x 750mm long ratchet clamps for £2.99 each

You'll be sorry. :-(

why ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

.. wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
. wrote:

I bagged 4 x 750mm long ratchet clamps for £2.99 each

You'll be sorry. :-(

why ?

They lose their grip after a short while ie wear&tear.

Got given two from last years lidl ones,I know why he give me them. :-(

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

They also had five *G*clamps for 6GBP 2 large,2 medium and one small good
value.

Well, they were cheap, certainly.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
. wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
. wrote:

I bagged 4 x 750mm long ratchet clamps for £2.99 each

You'll be sorry. :-(

why ?

They lose their grip after a short while ie wear&tear.

Got given two from last years lidl ones,I know why he give me them.
:-(

those were the mark ones, these are stamped 'new improved mark two'

anyway, I'll use them for the two jobs I have planned then I'll give them
away to asome random numpty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Guy King wrote:
The message
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

They also had five *G*clamps for 6GBP 2 large,2 medium and one small
good value.

Well, they were cheap, certainly.

Well i bought two boxes of em just for the bigger clamps, they are doing
the job they where intended for. :-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Guy King wrote:

Aldi had some height-adjustable stands the other day. I got a couple and
they're very solid.

Makro are doing a pair of substantial plastic fold away trestles. Good
for 400kg loading. About £12 the pair IIRC.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi

Picked up an angle grinder stand today from Lidl £5:99. Superb.
Better made that the one I saw at Axminster for £18 a while back.

I also picked up a pair of the DIY stands last time they were on
offer @ £3:99 each. Really strong & well made, I've used them a lot.

Spotlights & portable workbench both look good as well, but I already
have some.

Offers end Monday.

Did you pick up some of those 2100niMH AAA batteries up in aldi at 1.99GBP
for 4?

My Olympus runs away with the normal 800nicads, these 2100's just sit there
laughing at the flash. :-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Martin

in 545154 20060629 173328 "The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote:
.. wrote:

I bagged 4 x 750mm long ratchet clamps for £2.99 each

You'll be sorry. :-(

Not necessarily. I bought 4 of them at a discount store 2 years ago and use them
for gluing up raised-panel doors. No problems.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

They also had five *G*clamps for 6GBP 2 large,2 medium and one small
good value.

Well, they were cheap, certainly.

Well i bought two boxes of em just for the bigger clamps, they are doing
the job they where intended for. :-)

The cheapies I've had wear rapidly so the slider just slides instead of
gripping. The answer is to drill the bar and add a pin, like a
sashcramp.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

Did you pick up some of those 2100niMH AAA batteries up in aldi at 1.99GBP
for 4?

I did - several sets. And the D-cells are nice in the big flashlight.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Guy King wrote:
The message
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

They also had five *G*clamps for 6GBP 2 large,2 medium and one
small good value.

Well, they were cheap, certainly.

Well i bought two boxes of em just for the bigger clamps, they are
doing the job they where intended for. :-)

The cheapies I've had wear rapidly so the slider just slides instead
of gripping. The answer is to drill the bar and add a pin, like a
sashcramp.

When the time comes I'll put a spotweld or two on it.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Timothy Murphy

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Did you pick up some of those 2100niMH AAA batteries up in aldi at 1.99GBP
for 4?

I bought a load of them - they are 3.99 euro over here,
which is still less than half the price at Maplin.

I did wonder if they are normal rechargeable batteries?

Also Lidl had an enormous number of them -
they seem quite bad at judging how many of a given object they will sell,
eg their expensive electronic items either go in 10 minutes,
or not at all.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Timothy Murphy contains these words:

I did wonder if they are normal rechargeable batteries?

Well, they're NiMhs, which have been around sof some years now. If you
try charging them with a NiCd charger they probably won't like it.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Guy King wrote:

Well, they're NiMhs, which have been around sof some years now. If you
try charging them with a NiCd charger they probably won't like it.

Why's that?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave H.

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote...
Well, they're NiMhs, which have been around sof some years now. If you
try charging them with a NiCd charger they probably won't like it.

Why's that?

Different terminal (fully charged) voltage, different charge/voltage
characteristics, different leakage (trickle) currents under charge

An useful reference:
http://www.greenbatteries.com/bachfa...%20differences

Dave H.
(The engineer formerly known as Homeless)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Martin

in 545289 20060630 083702 Guy King wrote:
The message
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

Did you pick up some of those 2100niMH AAA batteries up in aldi at 1.99GBP
for 4?

I did - several sets. And the D-cells are nice in the big flashlight.

Are they really AAA rechargables? The highest AAAs I've seen are 900 maH.
It's not long since AAs passed 2000
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Timothy Murphy

Bob Martin wrote:

Did you pick up some of those 2100niMH AAA batteries up in aldi at
1.99GBP for 4?

Are they really AAA rechargables? The highest AAAs I've seen are 900 maH.
It's not long since AAs passed 2000

No, they were AAs.
(They did have AAAs, but not that capacity.)

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Timothy Murphy

Dave H. wrote:

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote...
Well, they're NiMhs, which have been around sof some years now. If you
try charging them with a NiCd charger they probably won't like it.

Why's that?

Different terminal (fully charged) voltage, different charge/voltage
characteristics, different leakage (trickle) currents under charge

An useful reference:
http://www.greenbatteries.com/bachfa...%20differences

Unfortunately this is an American site;
does anyone know if microprocessor-controlled chargers
are available here (in the UK/EU)?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Dave H. wrote:

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote...
Well, they're NiMhs, which have been around sof some years now. If
you try charging them with a NiCd charger they probably won't like
it.

Why's that?

Different terminal (fully charged) voltage, different charge/voltage
characteristics, different leakage (trickle) currents under charge

An useful reference:
http://www.greenbatteries.com/bachfa...%20differences

Unfortunately this is an American site;
does anyone know if microprocessor-controlled chargers
are available here (in the UK/EU)?

Try ebay,I was looking at one only last night at 14GBP new ie buy it now.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Timothy Murphy wrote:
Unfortunately this is an American site;
does anyone know if microprocessor-controlled chargers
are available here (in the UK/EU)?

RS sell the Mascot range which is very good. Pricey, though.

--
*Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 15:16:27 +0100, Timothy Murphy
wrote:

Dave H. wrote:

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote...
Well, they're NiMhs, which have been around sof some years now. If you
try charging them with a NiCd charger they probably won't like it.

Why's that?

Different terminal (fully charged) voltage, different charge/voltage
characteristics, different leakage (trickle) currents under charge

An useful reference:
http://www.greenbatteries.com/bachfa...%20differences

Unfortunately this is an American site;
does anyone know if microprocessor-controlled chargers
are available here (in the UK/EU)?

Try http://www.mahaenergy.co.uk/

Mark