Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Default Lidl "Screw-in Pole Stand".

A thing that goes into the ground, for holding up clothes airers,
etc:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pa...ole_Stand.ar10

Has anyone used them, if so are they reasonably robust What's the
internal diameter??

Lidl have revised their web-site so that you can put in your
post-code/area, and all the "regional offers" that don't apply
are filteres out. Well Done!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Chris Bacon contains these words:

Has anyone used them, if so are they reasonably robust What's the
internal diameter??

I've got one. It's ... OK. Mine's holding up the washing line for the
time beind 'cos I'm still moving things round the garden. It screwed
down into the soil easily, but since it's right by the path it's screwed
into gravel/sand. When it hit the clay it stopped dead and in effect
stripped the threads in the sand. I suspect if I were to try harder it'd
be OK.

Despite all that, it's holding up the pole adequately.

Diameter, they supply collars that shrink it down in steps from a
maxiumum of 60mm.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Guy King wrote:
The message from Chris Bacon contains these words:

Has anyone used them, if so are they reasonably robust What's the
internal diameter??

I've got one. It's ... OK. Mine's holding up the washing line for the
time beind 'cos I'm still moving things round the garden. It screwed
down into the soil easily, but since it's right by the path it's screwed
into gravel/sand. When it hit the clay it stopped dead and in effect
stripped the threads in the sand. I suspect if I were to try harder it'd
be OK.

Despite all that, it's holding up the pole adequately.

Diameter, they supply collars that shrink it down in steps from a
maxiumum of 60mm.

Excellent, thank you Mr. King. They'll take the "trunks" of
some small sawn off ash trees, then (for want of a better
sort of dowel).
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Chris Bacon contains these words:

Excellent, thank you Mr. King. They'll take the "trunks" of
some small sawn off ash trees, then (for want of a better
sort of dowel).

Depends how much leaning they'll have to endure. They're cast metal and
seem quite solid.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Chris Bacon wrote:
A thing that goes into the ground, for holding up clothes airers,
etc:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pa...ole_Stand.ar10

Has anyone used them, if so are they reasonably robust What's the
internal diameter??

Comes with 5 collars to fit different diameters so it shouldn't matter.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On 19 Jun 2006 17:22:23 +0200, Chris Bacon wrote:

Lidl have revised their web-site so that you can put in your
post-code/area, and all the "regional offers" that don't apply
are filteres out. Well Done!

Not only that, but if you set your cookies to "manually confirm before
accepting", you can use it to convert postcodes to addresses!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Guy King wrote:
The message from Chris Bacon contains these words:
They'll take the "trunks" of
some small sawn off ash trees, then (for want of a better
sort of dowel).

Depends how much leaning they'll have to endure. They're cast metal and
seem quite solid.

The ones this time around were welded steel, (hot) galvanised. They
seemed very popular. Some people apparently use them for outdoor
show stands. Here today - gone by mid morning.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Chris Bacon contains these words:

The ones this time around were welded steel, (hot) galvanised. They
seemed very popular. Some people apparently use them for outdoor
show stands. Here today - gone by mid morning.

I think mine was, too. I was too lazy to go look.

--
Skipweasel