Junior Member

Cool Retrospective Building Regs on conservatory

I had an extension build in Oct 2005 which was granted without planning permission as a permissible development (PD). Indeed planning permission was applied for but was not required and was allocated as a PD

The kitchen back door and adjacent small window were removed and a RSJ installed in their place. The kitchen runs open plan into the conservatory. The conservatory has the requirement independent heating control from the rest of the house.

The company which installed it has subsequently gone out of business and it looks as though they neglected to get building regs for the new RSJ etc. Although as the home owner I was/am responsible for ensuring they were in place.

I am aware that he can apply for retrospective Building Regs. Currently I have no intention of moving but would like to get the reg sorted for piece of mind

The question is how best is this done ?

I would imagine (i.e, guessing!) that the Building Reg inspector would want to

a) see the RSJ is properly seated – which means removing the plaster over the ends of the RSJ. But will they want the whole plastered area stripping out to view the whole thing ?
b) want to see some sort of door separating the kitchen from the conservatory – the regs state that this should be of exterior quality (i.e, double glazed patio door) – but in reality will an internal door with partition wall suffice
c) will they want to inspect anything else ? foundations/footings /

How best to should he play this ? Be completely up front and just get the inspector in and ask for his advice. Or install a partition wall and door, strip the plaster off the ends of the RSJ and get him in ?

Clearly once the paper work is issued I will make it open-plan again so want to minimise costs involved

You advice would be very welcome

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Retrospective Building Regs on conservatory

Do you have any reason to suspectthe RSJ is inadequate? As you're not
planning to sell, and the other compliance issues would only be done to
please the BCO, why do anything?

If you have serious doubts about the structural integrity, then I would
have thought that ensuring the RSJ was correctly sized and seated would
be of great concern, regardless of building regs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Crosland

I am aware that he can apply for retrospective Building Regs.
Currently I have no intention of moving but would like to get the reg
sorted for piece of mind

The question is how best is this done ?

I would imagine (i.e, guessing!) that the Building Reg inspector would
want to

a) see the RSJ is properly seated - which means removing the plaster
over the ends of the RSJ. But will they want the whole plastered area
stripping out to view the whole thing ?

You need to ask them.

b) want to see some sort of door separating the kitchen from the
conservatory - the regs state that this should be of exterior quality
(i.e, double glazed patio door) - but in reality will an internal door
with partition wall suffice

No it will not. You need that to meet the insulation requirements.

c) will they want to inspect anything else ? foundations/footings /

You will have to ask them.

How best to should he play this ? Be completely up front and just get
the inspector in and ask for his advice. Or install a partition wall
and door, strip the plaster off the ends of the RSJ and get him in ?

Since you are going to have to work with the building inspector it usually
pays to be open and honest with them. Simple applied psychology really
because they have a job to do. Ask him what he needs to pass the work.

Clearly once the paper work is issued I will make it open-plan again
so want to minimise costs involved

Why? That will immediately invalidate the Building Regulations approval and
you will have to reinstate it and meet the regulations current when you come
to sell the house. That is likely to cost even more.

Peter Crosland

Planning Permission or Building Regs Required? Simmey UK diy 2 January 17th 06 11:50 AM
building regs for porch [email protected] UK diy 11 January 16th 06 10:14 AM
Building Regs blakey9000 UK diy 33 June 24th 04 04:25 PM
Part L Building Regs Tim Jenkins UK diy 14 June 2nd 04 01:18 PM
Building regs re new structures troubleinstore UK diy 14 May 27th 04 08:59 AM