Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default building regs for porch

I want to add a porch to the front of my house. It will be within the
size not to need planning permission. Do they building regs differ than
for an extension etc. If so, how do I know what the regs are ? I mean,
if it required 280mm cavity wall and 1 metre foundations, it would be
absurd. Anyone who's built a porch help me out ?
Cheers,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Taylor

wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to add a porch to the front of my house. It will be within the
size not to need planning permission. Do they building regs differ than
for an extension etc. If so, how do I know what the regs are ? I mean,
if it required 280mm cavity wall and 1 metre foundations, it would be
absurd. Anyone who's built a porch help me out ?
Cheers,
Simon.

Quote from Building Regs Explanatory Booklet:

"A porch or conservatory built at ground level and under 30m² in floor area
is exempt provided that the glazing and any fixed electrical installation
complies with the applicable requirements of the Building Regulations (i.e.
Part N 'Glazing - safety in relation to impact, opening and cleaning' and
Part P 'Electrical safety')."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Taylor wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to add a porch to the front of my house. It will be within the
size not to need planning permission. Do they building regs differ than
for an extension etc. If so, how do I know what the regs are ? I mean,
if it required 280mm cavity wall and 1 metre foundations, it would be
absurd. Anyone who's built a porch help me out ?
Cheers,
Simon.

Quote from Building Regs Explanatory Booklet:

"A porch or conservatory built at ground level and under 30m² in floor area
is exempt provided that the glazing and any fixed electrical installation
complies with the applicable requirements of the Building Regulations (i.e.
Part N 'Glazing - safety in relation to impact, opening and cleaning' and
Part P 'Electrical safety')."

Have you finished that extension already?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
john

Peter Taylor wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

I want to add a porch to the front of my house. It will be within the
size not to need planning permission. Do they building regs differ than
for an extension etc. If so, how do I know what the regs are ? I mean,
if it required 280mm cavity wall and 1 metre foundations, it would be
absurd. Anyone who's built a porch help me out ?
Cheers,
Simon.

Quote from Building Regs Explanatory Booklet:

"A porch or conservatory built at ground level and under 30m² in floor
area is exempt provided that the glazing and any fixed electrical
installation complies with the applicable requirements of the Building
Regulations (i.e. Part N 'Glazing - safety in relation to impact,
opening and cleaning' and Part P 'Electrical safety')."

I think there are extra rules for porches if they are less than 1.5m
from the public footpath or road when completed. but can't recall the
exact wording off the cuff. Probably something like that planning
permisssion is always needed under such circumstances.

john

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Taylor

"john" wrote in message
Peter Taylor wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

John - I think you're talking about Planning Permission, but you've got it
wrong. The OP was asking about Building Regulations. These are two
separate permissions required under different legislation, and completely
different rules apply as to what is exempt and what isn't.

Exemption for porches from the Building Regs is as I quoted above.
Exemptions from Planning Permission are listed in the Town & Country
Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995. Porches are permitted
unless:

(a) the ground area (measured externally) of the structure would exceed 3
square metres;

(b) any part of the structure would be more than 3 metres above ground
level; or

(c) any part of the structure would be within 2 metres of any boundary of
the curtilage of the dwellinghouse with a highway.

:
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1995/Uksi_19950418_en_1.htm (Schedule 2)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Burns

Peter Taylor wrote:

Exemptions from Planning Permission are listed in the Town & Country
Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995. Porches are
permitted unless:

(a) the ground area (measured externally) of the structure would exceed
3 square metres;

Anyone know if the profile of the existing doorway is

+---=========---+
| |
| |
---------------+ +--------------

and a porch was build like this

E F
+---=========---+
| |
A | | B
---------+-----+ +-----+--------
| G H |
| |
| |
+---------=========---------+
C D

Would the 3m^2 area refer to the rectangle ABCD, or the sum of the
rectangles ABCD and EFGH? I would assume the former, on the grounds that
you could initially brick up G-H and move the door forwards, then build
the porch, but ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Taylor

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Peter Taylor wrote:

[...]

Andy, it sounds as though there is already a roof over EFGH. If so, if this
roof was added to the original house after 1948 then the area of EFGH uses
up some of your allowance and therefore will be included in the total 3 sq
m. If the roof was part of the original house then it won't, even though it
is open-fronted. (Such is the clarity of the legislation passed by John
Selwyn Gummer as Environment Secretary and John Redwood as Welsh
Secretary!!!)

Whatever this tells you, you'd be very unwise to just go ahead and build it
without checking with the Planners - it's their decision that counts, not
yours. There might be a host of reasons why they could decide the GDO
should be overruled or doesn't apply. You need to send them a sketch plan
and elevation with measurements and ask them to confirm in writing whether
the proposal is covered by the GDO. If it is you can put his letter with
your deeds and show it to any future purchaser.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Burns

Peter Taylor wrote:

If the roof was part of the original house then it
won't, even though it is open-fronted.

OK that is the case.

Such is the clarity of the legislation passed by John Selwyn Gummer
as Environment Secretary and John Redwood as Welsh Secretary

I just had a look at the statutory instrument, it does seem less
afflicted by legalese than other Westminster products I've had the
displeasure of perusing.

Whatever this tells you, you'd be very unwise to just go ahead and build
it without checking with the Planners

Don't worry I don't take legal advice from usenet, the porch was built
by a previous owner, I was aware of the 3.0m^2 number, but not sure what
was included within it, it would have been over if EFGH counted.

Is there anything which stipulates that the original external doorway
can or can't be subsequently removed, thereby making the porch become an
enlarged hall?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
john

Peter Taylor wrote:

"john" wrote in message

Peter Taylor wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

I stand corrected

john

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Quote from Building Regs Explanatory Booklet:

"A porch or conservatory built at ground level and under 30m² in floor area
is exempt provided that the glazing and any fixed electrical installation
complies with the applicable requirements of the Building Regulations (i.e.
Part N 'Glazing - safety in relation to impact, opening and cleaning' and
Part P 'Electrical safety')."

So what about glazing with respect to U-value etc.
And do I still need a building notice. If so, I guess I just chat to
the BCO about
requirements.

Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have you finished that extension already?
LOL.
Yes, he's starting the porch now!

I've finished the extension *and* the 2-storey basement ... ;-)
No, I'm putting extensions plans into BCO this week, just got to
photocopy
sellotaped A4 sheets onto a single A3. If I do lots of plans, I'll need
to get an A3 printer I think.
I'll take lots of photos etc when I actually start some work.
Cheers,
Simon.