Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Taylor

Default building regs for porch

"john" wrote in message
Peter Taylor wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

I want to add a porch to the front of my house. It will be within the
size not to need planning permission. Do they building regs differ than
for an extension etc. If so, how do I know what the regs are ? I mean,
if it required 280mm cavity wall and 1 metre foundations, it would be
absurd. Anyone who's built a porch help me out ?
Cheers,
Simon.

Quote from Building Regs Explanatory Booklet:

"A porch or conservatory built at ground level and under 30mē in floor
area is exempt provided that the glazing and any fixed electrical
installation complies with the applicable requirements of the Building
Regulations (i.e. Part N 'Glazing - safety in relation to impact, opening
and cleaning' and Part P 'Electrical safety')."

I think there are extra rules for porches if they are less than 1.5m from
the public footpath or road when completed. but can't recall the exact
wording off the cuff. Probably something like that planning permisssion
is always needed under such circumstances.

john

John - I think you're talking about Planning Permission, but you've got it
wrong. The OP was asking about Building Regulations. These are two
separate permissions required under different legislation, and completely
different rules apply as to what is exempt and what isn't.

Exemption for porches from the Building Regs is as I quoted above.
Exemptions from Planning Permission are listed in the Town & Country
Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995. Porches are permitted
unless:

(a) the ground area (measured externally) of the structure would exceed 3
square metres;

(b) any part of the structure would be more than 3 metres above ground
level; or

(c) any part of the structure would be within 2 metres of any boundary of
the curtilage of the dwellinghouse with a highway.

:
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1995/Uksi_19950418_en_1.htm (Schedule 2)