Marcos Scriven

Default Attaching a heavy digital piano to a wall

Hi

This might be a slight odd query, but here goes...

I have a digital piano - it's 140cm long and 35cm deep, and requires a
further 5cm clearance at the back for power cables and so forth. I
estimate its weight to be between 30-40kg (it's a Roland RD800 with
weighted keys in case you're wondering!)

I have a stage stand, but I decided in my not so great wisdom it would
look nicer attched to the wall - that way it would give me more floor
space, and allow me to fit my legs under more easily.

The solution I have at the moment is three angle brackets about 70cm
from the floor, one at each end, and one in the middle . Each bracket
is 30cm along the wall, and 40cm sticking out. They are each attached
by 3 screws (two right by right-angle, and one at the bottom) of 7cm
length with 8mm drill holes+wall plugs. When I drilled the holes,
there was about 1-2 cm of plaster, and then the rest was red-brick.

Now I've described my solution, the problem is:

The angle brackets seem very secure at the wall, and there dooesn't
seem to be a problem supporting the weight. However, the brackets
themselves bend a bit, especially when playing loud cords. I've
thought about attaching legs to the ends of the brackets, but I'd
prefer to avoid that.

My question is - can you suggest a better solution that a very amateur
DIY enthusiast can do? I have available a solid brick wall - is there
an easy way to drive in some strong metal supports? It's really
important that the keyboard feels solid when I play, so for now I've
just put the stand back.

Any ideas welcomed.

Thanks

Marcos
Nick Nelson

Marcos Scriven wrote:

The angle brackets seem very secure at the wall, and there dooesn't
seem to be a problem supporting the weight. However, the brackets
themselves bend a bit, especially when playing loud cords. I've
thought about attaching legs to the ends of the brackets, but I'd
prefer to avoid that.

It sounds to me as though the wall, and your fixings to it
are perfectly adequate, it's just that the brackets aren't
stiff enough.

Try and find some with a built in diagonal bracing, like this:

________________
| /
| /
| /
| /
| /
|/

Nick

In uk.d-i-y, Nick Nelson wrote:

________________
| /
| /
| /
| /
| /
|/

Seconded - Screwfix sell these as "worktop support brackets". But then
there will be a support right in the middle of the digipiano if Marcos
sticks to the 3 brackets he currently has (one towards each end + 1 in
the middle) - not conducive to good playing! Putting these stiffer
brackets at the two ends only, leaving the middle one as is, might be
OK; also, I'd turn the existing bracket around so the longer arm (40cm)
is along the wall, and the shorter (30cm) is under the Roland: less bending
force that way, and just as much support.

However, I'd still suggest the "real" solution is to save up for a good
Quickloc stand (Turnkey.co.uk sell 'em) - not much change out of a
hundred notes (ouch), but they're nice and firm for even a piggin' heavy
digipiano (not just for a little synth), and will be ready for gigging
when Marco and his band become a sensation on the local pub circuit ;-)

Stefek

I forgot to add - are the brackets you've used, Marcos, the "London
Pattern" stamped-out-from-sheet-metal things (like Screwfix catalogue
number 17536)? If so, you'll find them rather less stiff than the
mitred pattern they also sell (and which should be available in a
d-i-y warehousey place too), like their part number 14870 for the
35x35cm largest size. Pricier, but *much* stiffer in my experience.

HTH - Stefek

stuart noble

Marcos Scriven wrote in message
It's really
important that the keyboard feels solid when I play, so for now I've
just put the stand back.

I think you've answered your own question. Without support it's never going
to feel right. My son has a big Korg thing on a kitchen worktop with a
couple of chipboard chests of drawers either end. Even then we ended up
having to put a 4 sided 6" wide support under the middle of it Just enough
room on top for the iMac and all the other music making essentials :-)
although for now the printer is perched precariously on two speakers.

Laurence Payne

I have a digital piano - it's 140cm long and 35cm deep, and requires a
further 5cm clearance at the back for power cables and so forth. I
estimate its weight to be between 30-40kg (it's a Roland RD800 with
weighted keys in case you're wondering!)

I have a stage stand, but I decided in my not so great wisdom it would
look nicer attched to the wall - that way it would give me more floor
space, and allow me to fit my legs under more easily.

Make a stand from wood or metal designed to give the leg-room you
need.

Do you really want to be staring at a wall every time you play?
PoP

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 20:22:15 +0100, Laurence Payne
wrote:

Do you really want to be staring at a wall every time you play?

Stevie Wonder doesn't seem to mind.

PoP

Wall falling down? Alex UK diy 8 August 29th 03 10:54 AM
Damp inside loft wall Orb UK diy 2 August 22nd 03 11:18 AM
Taking out a wall and building regs... Adam UK diy 8 August 21st 03 10:39 PM
(another variation on) soundproofing party wall DP UK diy 0 August 14th 03 09:20 AM
Wall mounted bath taps Roger Wareham UK diy 1 August 6th 03 03:49 PM