Posted to uk.d-i-y
me

Default Want some wide (6 inch) new floorboards - anywhere in the UK?

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a place where I can get 9" or 8" wide floorboards? Need
to be untreated, natural wood,

We are in NW England near Manchester,

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What sort of quantity? Any larger timber merchants will have wide,
planed all round, square edged pine boards. Some will be able to cut a
tongue and groove on that if needed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 12:31:37 +0100, me wrote:

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a place where I can get 9" or 8" wide floorboards? Need
to be untreated, natural wood,

We are in NW England near Manchester,

Local timber merchant.

We had to renew/replace large areas of floorboard in the current house but
wanted to match the existing wide boards. We were able to source them from
the timber merchant as rough sawn planks and to plane them to fit/give a
smooth floor ourselves. This is how the original boards were fitted, rough
sawn on three sides, planed one side only. It was remarkably cheap to do
the job this way, even including hire of a suitable plane table for a week.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

me wrote:
Can anyone recommend a place where I can get 9" or 8" wide floorboards? Need
to be untreated, natural wood,

Jewson's.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
me

"me" wrote in message
Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a place where I can get 9" or 8" wide floorboards?
Need to be untreated, natural wood,

We are in NW England near Manchester,

Cheers

Thanks all,

I have tried a local timber merchants but they say they go up to 6" only.

I just found this:
http://www.birbek.com/mall/productpa...ODDYCHAR/70019

Looks pretty good - £31.85/square metre

We are going to need about 32 square metres though, anyone know if this is a
competitive price?

Cheers again

Posted to uk.d-i-y
me

wrote in message
ups.com...
What sort of quantity? Any larger timber merchants will have wide,
planed all round, square edged pine boards. Some will be able to cut a
tongue and groove on that if needed.

Looking at 32 square metres

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

me wrote:
I have tried a local timber merchants but they say they go up to 6" only.

If you've tried Jewson, and got that reply, then you've asked the
wrong question! Talk to the man in the office, not on the counter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I just found this:
http://www.birbek.com/mall/productpa...ODDYCHAR/70019

Looks pretty good - £31.85/square metre

We are going to need about 32 square metres though, anyone know if this is a
competitive price?

British Hardwoods comes in a bit cheaper, and I'm sure I've seen prices
a good bit lower than theirs at trade shows.

http://www.britishhardwoods.co.uk/fl...ng_prices.html