Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.misc
Lobster

Default "Easy IDE" USB - HDD adapter?

Has anyone got one of these gizmos?

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=138544

I bought one a while ago on the strength of a newsgroup recommendation
IIRC as it seemed like a brilliant idea; however when I tried it out it
managed to totally corrupt the test HD drive I hooked up to it - had to
reformat it. Sent the gadget back for replacement, but the next one did
just the same thing, at which point I gave up in disgust. Anyway -
having a clearout and have just found the thing at the back of a drawer...

So am wondering - has anyone got experience of using this gadget
(successfully or otherwise) and maybe solved the problem I had?!

Cheers
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.misc
.

Lobster wrote:
Has anyone got one of these gizmos?

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=138544

I bought one a while ago on the strength of a newsgroup recommendation
IIRC as it seemed like a brilliant idea; however when I tried it out
it managed to totally corrupt the test HD drive I hooked up to it -
had to reformat it. Sent the gadget back for replacement, but the
next one did just the same thing, at which point I gave up in
disgust. Anyway - having a clearout and have just found the thing at
the back of a drawer...

So am wondering - has anyone got experience of using this gadget
(successfully or otherwise) and maybe solved the problem I had?!

Cheers
David

why not ask in uk.comp.homebuilt ?

while you're there, ask them if they have ever used kingspan

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

.. wrote:
Lobster wrote:

Has anyone got one of these gizmos?

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=138544

I bought one a while ago on the strength of a newsgroup recommendation
IIRC as it seemed like a brilliant idea; however when I tried it out
it managed to totally corrupt the test HD drive I hooked up to it -
had to reformat it. Sent the gadget back for replacement, but the
next one did just the same thing, at which point I gave up in
disgust. Anyway - having a clearout and have just found the thing at
the back of a drawer...

So am wondering - has anyone got experience of using this gadget
(successfully or otherwise) and maybe solved the problem I had?!

why not ask in uk.comp.homebuilt ?

while you're there, ask them if they have ever used kingspan

Touche! Actually it was definitely in uk.d-i-y that I learned about the
gadget (although can't find the thread), which is why I thought it was
fair game/a good idea to post here...

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.misc
Grunff

Lobster wrote:
Has anyone got one of these gizmos?

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=138544

I bought one a while ago on the strength of a newsgroup recommendation
IIRC as it seemed like a brilliant idea; however when I tried it out it
managed to totally corrupt the test HD drive I hooked up to it - had to
reformat it. Sent the gadget back for replacement, but the next one did
just the same thing, at which point I gave up in disgust. Anyway -
having a clearout and have just found the thing at the back of a drawer...

So am wondering - has anyone got experience of using this gadget
(successfully or otherwise) and maybe solved the problem I had?!

I had one of these about 3 years ago, with very similar results. Sent it
back.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.misc
John Rumm

Lobster wrote:

Has anyone got one of these gizmos?

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=138544

I bought one a while ago on the strength of a newsgroup recommendation
IIRC as it seemed like a brilliant idea; however when I tried it out it
managed to totally corrupt the test HD drive I hooked up to it - had to
reformat it. Sent the gadget back for replacement, but the next one did
just the same thing, at which point I gave up in disgust. Anyway -
having a clearout and have just found the thing at the back of a drawer...

So am wondering - has anyone got experience of using this gadget
(successfully or otherwise) and maybe solved the problem I had?!

I have something similar (different brand / model but same basic
concept). Never had it corrupt a drive, although it can be tempremental
with some drives, sometimes preventing them from powering up correctly
(I have found if you power the drive first and then connect the IDE
connector they will often then work ok).

You can normally pick them up for a fiver on ebay direct from Hong Kong,
so try a different one if you need to. Failing that the ebuyer caddies
do a simmilar job (with a box round them to make an "external" HDD),
these, IME, have so far been rock solid reliable.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Lobster wrote:
. wrote:
Lobster wrote:

[...]

wasn't having a go, just pointing out that you'd prolly get a better
answer to your question over there, knowledgeable lot in there

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.misc
.

Grunff wrote:
Lobster wrote:
Has anyone got one of these gizmos?

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=138544

I bought one a while ago on the strength of a newsgroup
recommendation IIRC as it seemed like a brilliant idea; however when
I tried it out it managed to totally corrupt the test HD drive I
hooked up to it - had to reformat it. Sent the gadget back for
replacement, but the next one did just the same thing, at which
point I gave up in disgust. Anyway - having a clearout and have
just found the thing at the back of a drawer...

So am wondering - has anyone got experience of using this gadget
(successfully or otherwise) and maybe solved the problem I had?!

I had one of these about 3 years ago, with very similar results. Sent
it back.

FWIW I always put one of these in every PC I built/build

http://www.web-systems.co.uk/?page=Products&pid=282

and I've got a few of these equally useful bits of kit lying about

http://www.web-systems.co.uk/?page=Products&pid=941

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.misc
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
I bought one a while ago on the strength of a newsgroup recommendation
IIRC as it seemed like a brilliant idea; however when I tried it out it
managed to totally corrupt the test HD drive I hooked up to it - had to
reformat it. Sent the gadget back for replacement, but the next one did
just the same thing, at which point I gave up in disgust. Anyway -
having a clearout and have just found the thing at the back of a drawer...

So am wondering - has anyone got experience of using this gadget
(successfully or otherwise) and maybe solved the problem I had?!

I'm not surprised - the IDE bus tends to be pretty sensitive in my
experience. But I'm not sure why you'd want such an adaptor since IDE HDs
and CDs are still available?

--
*Black holes are where God divided by zero *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.misc
Lobster

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Lobster wrote:

I bought one a while ago on the strength of a newsgroup recommendation
IIRC as it seemed like a brilliant idea; however when I tried it out it
managed to totally corrupt the test HD drive I hooked up to it - had to
reformat it. Sent the gadget back for replacement, but the next one did
just the same thing, at which point I gave up in disgust. Anyway -
having a clearout and have just found the thing at the back of a drawer...

So am wondering - has anyone got experience of using this gadget
(successfully or otherwise) and maybe solved the problem I had?!

I'm not surprised - the IDE bus tends to be pretty sensitive in my
experience. But I'm not sure why you'd want such an adaptor since IDE HDs
and CDs are still available?

Just a very simple and convenient way (allegedly) of accessing bare HDs
for whatever reason, or accessing the data on them when a PC has gone
phut; eg I quite often find myself swapping HDs between old PCs, that
sort of thing... I bought it just as a useful adjunct to my PC toolkit
really.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.misc
Rod

Lobster wrote in
:

Has anyone got one of these gizmos?

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=138544

I bought one a while ago on the strength of a newsgroup recommendation
IIRC as it seemed like a brilliant idea; however when I tried it out
it managed to totally corrupt the test HD drive I hooked up to it -
had to reformat it. Sent the gadget back for replacement, but the
next one did just the same thing, at which point I gave up in disgust.
Anyway - having a clearout and have just found the thing at the back
of a drawer...

So am wondering - has anyone got experience of using this gadget
(successfully or otherwise) and maybe solved the problem I had?!

Got a similar (but earlier) model from Scan. Worked a treat. Got what
appears the same model you link to at work (after my suggestion). It has
been a lifesaver. Within its limitations, indispensible.

It is just so quick and easy compared with any form of caddy. And,
because you keep away from the internal IDE, there is usually no need
for rebooting.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.misc
EricP

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 17:29:43 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

Has anyone got one of these gizmos?

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=138544

I bought one a while ago on the strength of a newsgroup recommendation
IIRC as it seemed like a brilliant idea; however when I tried it out it
managed to totally corrupt the test HD drive I hooked up to it - had to
reformat it. Sent the gadget back for replacement, but the next one did
just the same thing, at which point I gave up in disgust. Anyway -
having a clearout and have just found the thing at the back of a drawer...

So am wondering - has anyone got experience of using this gadget
(successfully or otherwise) and maybe solved the problem I had?!

Cheers
David

I find it the greatest gadget invented for the PC.
Use it every day, all day.

Never had a moments problem with mine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.misc
Philip Herlihy

I've used one of these for some time with no problems. Useful thing to
have!
http://tinyurl.com/p9zzr

PH, London
===========

"Lobster" wrote in message
Has anyone got one of these gizmos?

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=138544

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.misc
Derek ^

wrote:

Has anyone got one of these gizmos?

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=138544

I bought one a while ago on the strength of a newsgroup recommendation
IIRC as it seemed like a brilliant idea; however when I tried it out it
managed to totally corrupt the test HD drive I hooked up to it - had to
reformat it. Sent the gadget back for replacement, but the next one did
just the same thing, at which point I gave up in disgust. Anyway -
having a clearout and have just found the thing at the back of a drawer...

So am wondering - has anyone got experience of using this gadget
(successfully or otherwise) and maybe solved the problem I had?!

I have one I got from Maplin (suspect not the *exact same*), it works
like a charm, and once the volume is mounted you can do everything to
it, play with partions with partition magic etc.

But like a lot of these "Cunning Chinese" USB goodies, despite the low
price, there's a lot going on under the hood.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.misc
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Tue, 13 Jun
2006 17:29:43 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.comp.misc,
yawatina tan reek esk Lobster fornis do
marikano es bono tan el:

Has anyone got one of these gizmos?

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=138544

I have something similar. No problems like yours, but it is picky about what
the drive's jumpers are set to.

deKay
--
Lofi Gaming: www.lofi-gaming.org.uk [Gamertag: deKay 01]
Gaming Diary: www.lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary/

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.misc
Clint Sharp

In message , .
writes
FWIW I always put one of these in every PC I built/build

http://www.web-systems.co.uk/?page=Products&pid=282

FWIW, I've probably removed and thrown away more of these pieces of junk
than you've built PCs, if you must buy one, spend some money and make
sure you get a good quality one, either that or make sure your backups
are good and regular. We spend a number of hours every month re-imaging
machines that have them in because of the intermittent problems you get
on cheap caddies.

and I've got a few of these equally useful bits of kit lying about

http://www.web-systems.co.uk/?page=Products&pid=941

Which is pretty much exactly the same device as the OP was complaining
about except it's in a box that goes around the drive.

HTH

--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.misc
Chris Hodges

deKay wrote:
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Tue, 13 Jun
2006 17:29:43 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.comp.misc,
yawatina tan reek esk Lobster fornis do
marikano es bono tan el:

Has anyone got one of these gizmos?

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=138544

I have something similar. No problems like yours, but it is picky about what
the drive's jumpers are set to.

I've found that to be the case on the 2 different ones I've used:
Master Works a treat
C/S Reads a bit of data but slow and falls down before too long
Slave Doesn't even detect the drive - if you're lucky.

Also the cheap one I've got at home has a disk with the drivers for
several models on it (win98), there's overlap in the PID and VIDs in the
installers, so it's trial and error until you find the right one (win98,
it's driverless on xp)

Chris
--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.misc
Colin Wilson

Has anyone got one of these gizmos?
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=138544
I bought one a while ago on the strength of a newsgroup recommendation
IIRC as it seemed like a brilliant idea; however when I tried it out it
managed to totally corrupt the test HD drive I hooked up to it - had to
reformat it

I bought a cheap chinese one from ebay, the PSU failed, but other than
that, it`s great - does 2.5" or 3.5" drives, as the connector to the
drive is double ended.

I`ve since scrapped an old base unit, keeping the ATX PSU - if you short
(IIRC) pin 14 to ground, the PSU powers up as though a motherboard is
present - job done :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.misc
Martin Underwood

Colin Wilson wrote in message
:

Has anyone got one of these gizmos?
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=138544
I bought one a while ago on the strength of a newsgroup
recommendation IIRC as it seemed like a brilliant idea; however when
I tried it out it managed to totally corrupt the test HD drive I
hooked up to it - had to reformat it

I bought a cheap chinese one from ebay, the PSU failed, but other than
that, it`s great - does 2.5" or 3.5" drives, as the connector to the
drive is double ended.

I`ve since scrapped an old base unit, keeping the ATX PSU - if you
short (IIRC) pin 14 to ground, the PSU powers up as though a
motherboard is present - job done :-)

Ah. That's the magic pin, is it? I always wondered which one it was. I've
replaced about 10 PSUs for various customers over the past year. When I was
buying a new PSU from my supplier, he commented that people in this area
(Didcot, Abingdon, Wallingford) seem to go through a lot of power supplies,
so there must be something odd about the mains - which makes me glad that
I've got a spike filter for my PCs/router/scanner/printer and also one for
my TV/VCR/hi-fi.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.misc
Colin Wilson

I`ve since scrapped an old base unit, keeping the ATX PSU - if you
short (IIRC) pin 14 to ground, the PSU powers up as though a
motherboard is present - job done :-)

Ah. That's the magic pin, is it? I always wondered which one it was.

I think it was - took me less time to google for it than to type this
reply, I remember that much :-}

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.misc
John Rumm

Colin Wilson wrote:

I`ve since scrapped an old base unit, keeping the ATX PSU - if you
short (IIRC) pin 14 to ground, the PSU powers up as though a
motherboard is present - job done :-)

Ah. That's the magic pin, is it? I always wondered which one it was.

I think it was - took me less time to google for it than to type this
reply, I remember that much :-}

The other clue is that it is normally the only green wire!

--
Cheers,

John.