Electronics (alt.electronics)

sparhawk

Default adapter problem - help !

Hi all,

I have a creative surroundsound system connected to my computer.
A few days ago the adapter stopped working. So i bought a new adapter with
the same specs.

Original adapter: 12V AC , 4.2A max
New adapter : 12V AC , 6A max

I took the plug and connected the 2 wires from the new adapter to the plug,
brown and blue wire. Then i shielded them with special tape.

When i plug into the subwoofer i get alot of noise through all speakers,
sounds like tearing alot of paper. So i quickly unplugged it.

Now guys, what did i do wrong ?

If for example the new adapter outputs not 12V but 13.8V ... could that be
causing this problem ?

Thank you for any advise !
Gareth Magennis

"sparhawk" wrote in message
m...
Hi all,

I have a creative surroundsound system connected to my computer.
A few days ago the adapter stopped working. So i bought a new adapter with
the same specs.
Original adapter: 12V AC , 4.2A max
New adapter : 12V AC , 6A max
I took the plug and connected the 2 wires from the new adapter to the
plug,

brown and blue wire. Then i shielded them with special tape.

When i plug into the subwoofer i get alot of noise through all speakers,
sounds like tearing alot of paper. So i quickly unplugged it.

Now guys, what did i do wrong ?

If for example the new adapter outputs not 12V but 13.8V ... could that be
causing this problem ?

Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong. It could be that your speaker
system is faulty and that when it broke it took the original adapter with
it. Or, the new adapter is faulty and outputting too low a voltage
(unlikely).
Is the new adapter definately an AC output, and not DC? The much more
common DC adapter may well power part of the circuitry but not all the
required supply rails will be generated.

Gareth.

sparhawk

Gareth Magennis wrote:
"sparhawk" wrote in message
[...]

Hello Gareth,

Well, the new one is an AC for sure, specifically for that i've been
watching. Also when i measure the output i get like 13.8V to 14V ... but
on it there is 12V written as output.

Thanks
Art

Un-loaded it will measure slightly higher than the tag states. Sounds like
either the amp may have sustained damage, as posted earlier, or you have a
very noisy input to the amp for it's source. I'd bet on the amp being
flacked. Probably what killed the original supply.
"sparhawk" wrote in message
m...
Gareth Magennis wrote:
"sparhawk" wrote in message
[...]

sparhawk

Art wrote:
Un-loaded it will measure slightly higher than the tag states. Sounds like
either the amp may have sustained damage, as posted earlier, or you have a
very noisy input to the amp for it's source. I'd bet on the amp being
flacked. Probably what killed the original supply.
"sparhawk" wrote in message
m...

Gareth Magennis wrote:

"sparhawk" wrote in message
.com...

[...]

Guys, thanks for the good advise and your time !
I'm bringing this one back and get a "normal" one.
This seems to work for halogeen lamps but not when it comes to
speakersystems.