Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default replacing TRV - removing old adapter from radiator

I've removed the TRV from the radiator down-pipe and the adapter that
connects the radiator itself to the TRV. I'm left with the radiator
with adapter attached. The adapter has a captive nut
that was used to connect to the TRV body. The adapter is the same
finish as the old TRV and was obviously supplied with it. This adapter
converts to 3/4 BSP which suited the old TRV.
The new TRV is supplied with an adapter converting the radiator to 1/2
BSP which suits the new TRV. So I have to remove the old adapter. This
is the tricky part.
The old adaptor appears to have no cut-outs or shaping whatever to take
a spanner. It is totally smooth with only about 3mm between the
rediator casting and the captive nut. I cannot see how it can possibly
be removed.
Attach something else to it, and use that to unscrew it ?
How can I get this adpater off ?
Thanks,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

===============
Look inside - probably shaped for an allen key.

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you're talking about the "tail" (the bit which screws into the radiator)
it will almost certainly have a hexagonal hole inside, and requires an
appropriately sized Allen key to turn it.

I did wonder about that. I tried to look into the hole, but not very
far.
I will try some allen keys of various sizes and see if they engage.
Cheers,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some have a couple of ridges on the inside I believe, instead of a hex
shape.
You can buy a large hex key from most DIY shops for about £3 which
will do all types of fitting.

Got a proper radiator key from the plumbing supplies.
The square end did it, and there was loads of play when reversing
direction
(just to test it), so it's probably one with the ridges.
Bonus, the new TRV fits perfectly, which surprised me.
Success.
Cheers,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
wrote:
If you're talking about the "tail" (the bit which screws into the
radiator) it will almost certainly have a hexagonal hole inside, and
requires an appropriately sized Allen key to turn it.

I did wonder about that. I tried to look into the hole, but not very
far. I will try some allen keys of various sizes and see if they engage.

The sheds etc sell the correct one for pennies that also has a square
drive for tightening bleed nipple units. They're a bit larger than usually
comes in those sets.

--
*If tennis elbow is painful, imagine suffering with tennis balls *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Cold Radiator Kroma UK diy 4 December 3rd 05 10:26 PM
Radiator not getting totally hot gna03633 UK diy 20 August 3rd 04 09:57 AM
Removing a Radiator (for good) Richard UK diy 14 August 4th 03 04:03 PM
Removing radiator with thermostat David W.E. Roberts UK diy 0 July 30th 03 09:49 AM