Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

Default Cistern Coupling Rubber Doughnut Thingy .

Having replaced my toilet pan with a new one that someone gave me on Freecycle
and reused the rubber seal I had on the cistern ,now when I flush the cistern
there is a little water comes from the seal area below the cistern and drips on
to the floor .
I had also ordered a replacement inlet valve and also a replacement cistern
coupling kit .The replacement pan had some silicone around it's inlet so I have
removed that but was wondering if the silicone is necessary to ensure a complete
seal.
Can anyone offer an opinion .?

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Anthropist

"Stuart" wrote:
Having replaced my toilet pan with a new one that someone gave me on
Freecycle
and reused the rubber seal I had on the cistern ,now when I flush the
cistern
there is a little water comes from the seal area below the cistern and
drips on
to the floor .
I had also ordered a replacement inlet valve and also a replacement
cistern
coupling kit .The replacement pan had some silicone around it's inlet so I
have
removed that but was wondering if the silicone is necessary to ensure a
complete
seal.
Can anyone offer an opinion .?

Stuart

Regarding the pipe that carries water from the cistern to the back of the
toilet bowl, in my experience both ends need sealant to get a water-tight
joint.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Stuart writes:
Having replaced my toilet pan with a new one that someone gave me on Freecycle
and reused the rubber seal I had on the cistern ,now when I flush the cistern
there is a little water comes from the seal area below the cistern and drips on
to the floor .
I had also ordered a replacement inlet valve and also a replacement cistern
coupling kit .The replacement pan had some silicone around it's inlet so I have
removed that but was wondering if the silicone is necessary to ensure a complete
seal.
Can anyone offer an opinion .?

If this is a close-coupled system, then you need only a new
Doughnut seal -- they rarely work when reused as they will
have taken on a fixed shape in their previous life. No
silicone required there.

I have sometimes had to use silicone where pipework goes
through the cistern and the nuts/washers won't seal because
the porcelain surface around the hole isn't flat/smooth.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills

Stuart wrote:

Having replaced my toilet pan with a new one that someone gave me on
Freecycle and reused the rubber seal I had on the cistern ,now when
I flush the cistern there is a little water comes from the seal area
below the cistern and drips on to the floor .
I had also ordered a replacement inlet valve and also a replacement
cistern coupling kit .The replacement pan had some silicone around
it's inlet so I have removed that but was wondering if the silicone
is necessary to ensure a complete seal.
Can anyone offer an opinion .?

Stuart

It's not a good idea to re-use the doughnut seals. They get deformed when
fitted, and are unlikely to seal properly when re-fitted. They're fairly
cheap to replace, and there's no need to use any sealant on a new one.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Sun, 4 Jun 2006 22:12:08 +0100, "Roger Mills"

Stuart wrote:

Having replaced my toilet pan with a new one that someone gave me on
Freecycle and reused the rubber seal I had on the cistern ,now when
I flush the cistern there is a little water comes from the seal area
below the cistern and drips on to the floor .
I had also ordered a replacement inlet valve and also a replacement
cistern coupling kit .The replacement pan had some silicone around
it's inlet so I have removed that but was wondering if the silicone
is necessary to ensure a complete seal.
Can anyone offer an opinion .?

Stuart

It's not a good idea to re-use the doughnut seals. They get deformed when
fitted, and are unlikely to seal properly when re-fitted. They're fairly
cheap to replace, and there's no need to use any sealant on a new one.

Cheers Roger and Andrew ....

Ah ..That'll be the problem then..re-using the seal on the replacement pan..
The new one will be coming tomorrow so that should sort it .

thx again.

Stuart