Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

Default Cistern Coupling Kit Question .

Today I went to B+Q to get bolts to join my toilet cistern to the pan .I dropped
one when taking it apart yesterday and it had vanished .
They had coupling kits but as I only nedded the bolts I chose what was descibed
on the packet as .Cistern Close Coupling Bolts "
When I opened it at home it seemed from the instructions ( which seemed to cover
push button/hinge and cistern coupling options and are pretty poor ) I saw that
the bolts were what looked like M6 bolts with slotted pan-heads ,threaded all
the way to the head and did not have the square section below the head as I
expected .
It might be that they will do but the diagram in the kit shows the way they
should be fitted the but the screws in the diagram do have the square section so
looks like I'll be going back to B+Q ..
Might just root around in their nut and bolt section to get a couple of suitable
bolts

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mathew Newton

Stuart wrote:
[...]

It's been a while since I last had to mess around with the dunster but
I seem to recall that there are two method of close-coupled fixings -
one where the bolts go from inside the cistern down through the pan
(thus you have access to both ends to tighten) and the other whereby
the bolts don't start inside the cistern at all - they merely go
through a metal plate underneath the cistern (which is it self clamped
to the cistern by the siphon nut) and down through the pan. The latter
type obviously means you don't have access to the top of the bolts (as
they're sat between the cistern and pan) hence they require a square
shaft at the top that is prevents rotation by sitting a similarly
shaped hole in the metal plate.

Does that makes sense and/or correlate with what you have or haven't
got?

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mathew Newton

Mathew Newton wrote:
Stuart wrote:
[...]

Forgot to mention my conclusion - I think you've bought bolts for the
former type whereas you actually require those (square type) for the
latter.

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On 2 Jun 2006 11:07:28 -0700, "Mathew Newton" wrote:

Stuart wrote:
[...]

Thx Mathhew .
I wan't aware of the first type you mentioned but having had another look at
the diagram in the kit I bought it has a section titled " Instructions for
hinges" but the picture shows what you are describing ....bolts going through
the bottom of the cistern .I'm only familiar with the type that has the bolts
sitting in the wings of the metal plate and that is the type I have .....the
diagram in the kit I bought also displays that type and shows bolts with the
plain head with the square section below it but the bolts in the kit are just
slotted pan head bolts with thread all the way up.....so looks like the manfrs
have messed up ...
thx again
Stuart

Question about toilet cistern overflow...? Simon Hawthorne UK diy 5 December 21st 04 04:33 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Toilet cistern syphon/overflow mackem UK diy 6 October 14th 04 03:33 PM
High level cistern flush too powerful steve UK diy 3 February 28th 04 04:28 PM
Water cistern PoP UK diy 6 October 3rd 03 11:56 PM