Senior Member

Default Close coupled WC Doughnut ring

Continuing with my WC project, I need to fit a cistern to a close coupled toilet pan.

I got the WC Close Coupling Kit, from Screwfix, 17405, of which I only needed the doughnut ring, or sealing diaphragm.

My problem is that it is too thick and even tightening the wing nuts to the maximum the gap between the pan and the cistern is too wide, at least 1 cm.

Then pan I am replacing was attached to the cistern with a much narrower gap and had a much thinner foam washer.

Am I using the wrong sealing diaphragm?

Just to make sure, I am putting the side of the doughnut ring with concentric cylindrical steps facing the cistern and the central outlet from the cistern into those steps. Is this correct?

I am asking because putting the ring the other side actually makes the gap narrower, but perhaps less water tight.

Lastly, is it better to put some silicone sealant around the ring?

Thanks,

Antonio
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 22:52:03 +0000, asalcedo wrote:

[...]

The close coupled sealing kits fit the majority of close coupled WCs.
Often the plate is corroded so the other parts are needed.

There are a few models around which use a larger but much thinner ring
like a small thinnish quoit. No doubt there are other odd ball units
around too.

Silicone grease (not sealant) is your friend. Yes the new doughnut often
is quite a bit thicker than the old tired (and presumably defective) unit.
One you have done up the wing nuts the cistern should be in the right
place. If the doughnut os the wrong type it might not be.
The outer curved part of the doughnut fits the pan.

HTH

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Sirett
[...]

Hi Ed,

Thank you for your thorough and clear explanation.

I was also thinking of grease, rather than sealant. It makes sense that I just want to facilitate the ring squeezing into the hole on the pan but let the ring do the water sealing.

I will try again with the ring that I have. Once the cistern in fixed to the wall it should be pretty stable and the gap should not be noticeable.

Regards,

Antonio
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 12:02:40 +0000, asalcedo wrote:

Ed Sirett Wrote:
[...]

It sometimes happens that the new position of the cistern is a little
different from the original.
I recommend that you try tightening the wing nuts to a firm hand pressure.
The pour a bucket or two of water into the cistern and test it for leaks
either continuously from the syphon unit or during operation.
If all is well then secure the cistern to the wall and connect the
supply (and maybe overflow).
Sometimes the overflow need to be installed as the cistern is lowered onto
the pan.
HTH

Wiring kitchen ring query when kitchen part installed Jonathan UK diy 0 April 26th 05 05:56 PM
Part and new rings Doctor Evil UK diy 78 April 9th 05 02:00 AM
Ring Main Wiring Mark Carver UK diy 31 March 7th 05 06:31 PM
Is my main socket ring too big? Paul UK diy 24 November 25th 03 09:03 PM
Is it a radial or ring circuit? Paul UK diy 14 September 4th 03 04:48 PM