Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lawrence Zarb

Default Treating knots

Last year I painted my new staircase without treating the knots with
knotting solution. Now the knows are bleeding thro.

If I repaint the wood, how should I treat the knots?

Do I need to strip back to bare wood and treat them with knotting
solution, or is there something that I can put over the existing paint,
before repainting?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fitz

Lawrence Zarb wrote:
Last year I painted my new staircase without treating the knots with
knotting solution. Now the knows are bleeding thro.

If I repaint the wood, how should I treat the knots?

Do I need to strip back to bare wood and treat them with knotting
solution, or is there something that I can put over the existing paint,
before repainting?

I don't know for sure, but if it were me I'd strip back to bare wood.
In fact it IS me in a way beacuse I hung 8 new doors last year and had
a mini-production line going for knotting and painting. On one door I
completely forgot the knotting and it's bleeding through already. So I
plan to strip back to wood over the knots, apply knotting, reapply
paint, feathering and sanding until I've made it look as good as I can.
When I get time... after all the other stuff has been done...

--
Steve F

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Malcolm Race

Lawrence Zarb wrote:
Last year I painted my new staircase without treating the knots with
knotting solution. Now the knows are bleeding thro.

If I repaint the wood, how should I treat the knots?

Do I need to strip back to bare wood and treat them with knotting
solution, or is there something that I can put over the existing paint,
before repainting?

Redrow failed to treat any or the internal woowork with knotting. As I
am redecorating, I am applying knotting over the original paintwork with
a generous overlap and 2 years on there is no sign of bleeding

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lawrence Zarb

thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Lawrence Zarb wrote:
thanks

Crikey, and you're not even posting from Google.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Lawrence Zarb wrote:
thanks

How did you get on the Mailgate server?

By the way, you only need to strip back the patches which are knotty.
Scrape it back, wipe it with turps (to stop it clogging the sandpaper)
and sand it to feather the paintwork in, apply a layer of laquer
(knotting is french polish) then paint to suit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lawrence Zarb

I registered with Mailgate about 3 years ago..

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Lawrence Zarb wrote:
I registered with Mailgate about 3 years ago..

What else do you do, Mr. Zarb? Play bagpipes? Brew beer?
Do DIY? Collect stamps? Study? Without context, you see,
it's very difficult to know what you are talking about!

pine knots Bob Threlkeld Woodturning 7 March 3rd 06 05:29 PM
Painting pine with knots [email protected] Home Repair 4 November 13th 05 05:29 PM
Home made heat treating oven kiln - Mark II rashid111 Metalworking 6 October 20th 05 02:10 PM
Miter saw won't cut through knots in wood DK Woodworking 18 April 8th 05 03:27 PM
How to correctly split knots in branches for turning vodacekt Woodturning 1 March 7th 05 01:24 AM