DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Treating knots (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/164059-treating-knots.html)

Lawrence Zarb June 2nd 06 11:25 AM

Treating knots

Last year I painted my new staircase without treating the knots with
knotting solution. Now the knows are bleeding thro.

If I repaint the wood, how should I treat the knots?

Do I need to strip back to bare wood and treat them with knotting
solution, or is there something that I can put over the existing paint,
before repainting?

Fitz June 2nd 06 11:56 AM

Treating knots

Lawrence Zarb wrote:
Last year I painted my new staircase without treating the knots with
knotting solution. Now the knows are bleeding thro.

If I repaint the wood, how should I treat the knots?

Do I need to strip back to bare wood and treat them with knotting
solution, or is there something that I can put over the existing paint,
before repainting?

I don't know for sure, but if it were me I'd strip back to bare wood.
In fact it IS me in a way beacuse I hung 8 new doors last year and had
a mini-production line going for knotting and painting. On one door I
completely forgot the knotting and it's bleeding through already. So I
plan to strip back to wood over the knots, apply knotting, reapply
paint, feathering and sanding until I've made it look as good as I can.
When I get time... after all the other stuff has been done...

--
Steve F

Malcolm Race June 2nd 06 07:30 PM

Treating knots

Lawrence Zarb wrote:
Last year I painted my new staircase without treating the knots with
knotting solution. Now the knows are bleeding thro.

If I repaint the wood, how should I treat the knots?

Do I need to strip back to bare wood and treat them with knotting
solution, or is there something that I can put over the existing paint,
before repainting?

Redrow failed to treat any or the internal woowork with knotting. As I
am redecorating, I am applying knotting over the original paintwork with
a generous overlap and 2 years on there is no sign of bleeding

Malcolm

Lawrence Zarb June 4th 06 07:31 AM

Treating knots

thanks

Chris Bacon June 4th 06 09:38 PM

Treating knots

Lawrence Zarb wrote:
thanks

Crikey, and you're not even posting from Google.

Weatherlawyer June 5th 06 01:35 AM

Treating knots

Lawrence Zarb wrote:
thanks

How did you get on the Mailgate server?

By the way, you only need to strip back the patches which are knotty.
Scrape it back, wipe it with turps (to stop it clogging the sandpaper)
and sand it to feather the paintwork in, apply a layer of laquer
(knotting is french polish) then paint to suit.

Lawrence Zarb June 5th 06 06:00 PM

Treating knots

I registered with Mailgate about 3 years ago..

Chris Bacon June 5th 06 10:24 PM

Treating knots

Lawrence Zarb wrote:
I registered with Mailgate about 3 years ago..

What else do you do, Mr. Zarb? Play bagpipes? Brew beer?
Do DIY? Collect stamps? Study? Without context, you see,
it's very difficult to know what you are talking about!