Posted to uk.d-i-y
Broadback

Default O.T. cost of having electric disconnected/reconnected to pole.

I have a very large lime tree bordering a public road that is dying and
needs to be removed. The tree surgeons say the power from the adjacent
pole will have to be disconnected for the work to be carried out, can
anyone please tell me what the charge for that would be (North
Staffordshire).
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Wade

Broadback wrote:

[...] The tree surgeons say the power from the adjacent
pole will have to be disconnected for the work to be carried out, can
anyone please tell me what the charge for that would be

Yes, the electricity DNO (distribution network operator) for your area
will be able to tell you, when you ask them to quote. This link should
help you find out who you need to contact:
http://www.energynetworks.org/spring...lect_contr.asp

PS - I suspect the answer is likely be more than you think...

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

"Broadback" wrote in message
I have a very large lime tree bordering a public road that is dying and
needs to be removed. The tree surgeons say the power from the adjacent
pole will have to be disconnected for the work to be carried out, can
anyone please tell me what the charge for that would be (North
Staffordshire).

The electricity supplier responsible can.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Me here

"Broadback" wrote in message
I have a very large lime tree bordering a public road that is dying and
needs to be removed. The tree surgeons say the power from the adjacent
pole will have to be disconnected for the work to be carried out, can
anyone please tell me what the charge for that would be (North
Staffordshire).

Contact the local supplier and advise them that there is a tree very close
to their supply line.
Have them inspect it and suggest that you are willing to assist in removing
the tree after their "pruning".

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Broadback

Me here wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message
I have a very large lime tree bordering a public road that is dying and
needs to be removed. The tree surgeons say the power from the adjacent
pole will have to be disconnected for the work to be carried out, can
anyone please tell me what the charge for that would be (North
Staffordshire).

Contact the local supplier and advise them that there is a tree very close
to their supply line.
Have them inspect it and suggest that you are willing to assist in removing
the tree after their "pruning".

Sadly Me here that will not wash, the tree is not interfering with the
line, it is simply a health and safety matter for the men doing the work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

"Broadback" wrote in message
Me here wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message
I have a very large lime tree bordering a public road that is dying and
needs to be removed. The tree surgeons say the power from the adjacent
pole will have to be disconnected for the work to be carried out, can
anyone please tell me what the charge for that would be (North
Staffordshire).

Contact the local supplier and advise them that there is a tree very
close to their supply line.
Have them inspect it and suggest that you are willing to assist in
removing the tree after their "pruning".

Sadly Me here that will not wash, the tree is not interfering with the
line, it is simply a health and safety matter for the men doing the work.

What sort of power line is it?
Any pictures?

Find some different men who don't mind a shock? ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"dennis@home" wrote in message
. uk...

"Broadback" wrote in message
Me here wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message
I have a very large lime tree bordering a public road that is dying and
needs to be removed. The tree surgeons say the power from the adjacent
pole will have to be disconnected for the work to be carried out, can
anyone please tell me what the charge for that would be (North
Staffordshire).

Contact the local supplier and advise them that there is a tree very
close to their supply line.
Have them inspect it and suggest that you are willing to assist in
removing the tree after their "pruning".

Sadly Me here that will not wash, the tree is not interfering with the
line, it is simply a health and safety matter for the men doing the work.

What sort of power line is it?
Any pictures?

Find some different men who don't mind a shock? ;-)

I had a line that goes under the eaves of a house temporarily pinned to the
wall and wrapped in red plastic whilst the guttering and fascias were
replaced. The cost was zero. I had to give a large window of time so that
they could fit the job in with others in the area. (East Midlands). The
cables feed many houses so that may have influenced the issue - but H&S
seemed to be their concern.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 12:42:47 GMT someone who may be "John"
wrote this:-

I had a line that goes under the eaves of a house temporarily pinned to the
wall and wrapped in red plastic whilst the guttering and fascias were
replaced. The cost was zero. I had to give a large window of time so that
they could fit the job in with others in the area. (East Midlands). The
cables feed many houses so that may have influenced the issue - but H&S
seemed to be their concern.

Split plastic tubing over the wires seems to be a favourite.

Of course we are assuming that this is a low voltage line, something
which the OP has yet to confirm.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Broadback

wrote this:-

I had a line that goes under the eaves of a house temporarily pinned to the
wall and wrapped in red plastic whilst the guttering and fascias were
replaced. The cost was zero. I had to give a large window of time so that
they could fit the job in with others in the area. (East Midlands). The
cables feed many houses so that may have influenced the issue - but H&S
seemed to be their concern.

Split plastic tubing over the wires seems to be a favourite.

Of course we are assuming that this is a low voltage line, something
which the OP has yet to confirm.

How remiss of me, it is the single phase supply to myself and my neighbour.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 13:58:43 UTC, Broadback wrote:

Of course we are assuming that this is a low voltage line, something
which the OP has yet to confirm.

How remiss of me, it is the single phase supply to myself and my neighbour.

It's low voltage, then...!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

How remiss of me, it is the single phase supply to myself and my neighbour.

Single phase droppers from the pole to the consumer are often
insulated, is your tree surgeon being overly picky? Could the branches
be reasonably trimmed back with nothing substantial falling on them?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

"Broadback" wrote in message
Me here wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message
I have a very large lime tree bordering a public road that is dying and
needs to be removed. The tree surgeons say the power from the adjacent
pole will have to be disconnected for the work to be carried out, can
anyone please tell me what the charge for that would be (North
Staffordshire).

Contact the local supplier and advise them that there is a tree very
close to their supply line.
Have them inspect it and suggest that you are willing to assist in
removing the tree after their "pruning".

Sadly Me here that will not wash, the tree is not interfering with the
line, it is simply a health and safety matter for the men doing the work.

In that case, the usual method is simply to insulate the lines while work is
in progress. A man comes along with a long pole and uses it to apply plastic
sleeving, which the supply company usually forgets to remove until long
after the work is finished.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

wrote this:-

I had a line that goes under the eaves of a house temporarily pinned to
the wall and wrapped in red plastic whilst the guttering and fascias
were replaced. The cost was zero. I had to give a large window of time
so that they could fit the job in with others in the area. (East
Midlands). The cables feed many houses so that may have influenced the
issue - but H&S seemed to be their concern.

Split plastic tubing over the wires seems to be a favourite.

Of course we are assuming that this is a low voltage line, something
which the OP has yet to confirm.

How remiss of me, it is the single phase supply to myself and my
neighbour.

If you don't pay your bills, it will be disconnected for free. Of course,
getting it reconnected afterwards will be more expensive :-)

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Colin Wilson

I have a very large lime tree bordering a public road that is dying and
needs to be removed. The tree surgeons say the power from the adjacent
pole will have to be disconnected for the work to be carried out, can
anyone please tell me what the charge for that would be (North
Staffordshire).

What`s the first part of your postcode ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Colin Wilson

What`s the first part of your postcode ?
ST12

Sorry for the slow reply - I don`t think Scottish Power are the REC for
that postcode area (parts of ST7 only IIRC)

You may find that tree cutting has its own department in the REC that
does cover that area, and they will trim the tree for free around the
path of the line to ensure the security of the supply - which in turn
would allow the tree to be chopped in relative safety.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Broadback

Colin Wilson wrote:
What`s the first part of your postcode ?

ST12

Sorry for the slow reply - I don`t think Scottish Power are the REC for
that postcode area (parts of ST7 only IIRC)

You may find that tree cutting has its own department in the REC that
does cover that area, and they will trim the tree for free around the
path of the line to ensure the security of the supply - which in turn
would allow the tree to be chopped in relative safety.

Thank you all for your replies, I will try some other tree surgeons,
this one was the only one who has given me a written estimate out off
the first batch I have tried. Ideally I wanted one who would deal with
the local council to get the removal permission, most want the
permission first, so I will apply to the council myself and see how I fare.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Colin Wilson

You may find that tree cutting has its own department in the REC that
does cover that area, and they will trim the tree for free around the
path of the line to ensure the security of the supply - which in turn
would allow the tree to be chopped in relative safety.

Thank you all for your replies, I will try some other tree surgeons

Just in case I wasn`t as clear as I meant to be, the REC may have their
own tree cutting department / contractors who will do anything in the
vicinity of the line for you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"dennis@home" writes:

Find some different men who don't mind a shock? ;-)

They tend to be in short supply, as this one had the misfortune to discover:

(DONT LOOK IF A SMOLDERING BODY IS GOING TO MAKE YOU UNCOMFORTABLE)

http://www.ogrish.com/archives/elect...v_06_2005.html

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Wanderer

On 04 Jun 2006 08:59:20 GMT, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
"dennis@home" writes:

Find some different men who don't mind a shock? ;-)

They tend to be in short supply, as this one had the misfortune to discover:

(DONT LOOK IF A SMOLDERING BODY IS GOING TO MAKE YOU UNCOMFORTABLE)

http://www.ogrish.com/archives/elect...v_06_2005.html

I once had to attend a similar fatality, a glorious sunny August bank
holiday Sunday a good few years ago. Couple of guys were moving equipment
at a grain silo, straight into an 11kv o/h line. The worst part was the
guys had brought their families along for a day out.....

On a similar vein, I also knew a cable jointer who used to wet his fingers
and quickly dab them on the ends of live lv cables to phase out when making
straight joints. Oh the joys of HSE. :-)

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek ^

On Sun, 4 Jun 2006 15:52:50 +0100, The Wanderer
wrote:

On 04 Jun 2006 08:59:20 GMT, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I once had to attend a similar fatality, a glorious sunny August bank
holiday Sunday a good few years ago. Couple of guys were moving equipment
at a grain silo, straight into an 11kv o/h line. The worst part was the
guys had brought their families along for a day out.....

A true story from the BBC.

One day in the mid '60s a mobile microwave link was being set up on
top of a remote hill. The gang, as always, went out in plenty of time
and having had no difficulty in proving the link took the mast back
down and went to the pub in the van. After lunch they went back to the
site and found a very heavy mist had come down, anyway they parked the
vehicle and the apprentice amongst them elevated the mast by standing
alongside the van and operating a lever that controlled the hydraulic
mast. The mast went up and came into contact with a High Voltage
overhead line hidden in the mist. The apprentice was killed instantly.

The van had been parked in a slightly different spot than before their
lunch.

DG
Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 16:50:22 +0100 someone who may be Derek ^
wrote this:-

One day in the mid '60s a mobile microwave link was being set up on
top of a remote hill. The gang, as always, went out in plenty of time
and having had no difficulty in proving the link took the mast back
down and went to the pub in the van. After lunch they went back to the
site and found a very heavy mist had come down, anyway they parked the
vehicle and the apprentice amongst them elevated the mast by standing
alongside the van and operating a lever that controlled the hydraulic
mast. The mast went up and came into contact with a High Voltage
overhead line hidden in the mist. The apprentice was killed instantly.

The van had been parked in a slightly different spot than before their
lunch.

How slightly different was slightly different? A few metres?

Did they not spot the line before going to the pub?

Did they not hear the electricity leaking across the insulators in
the mist? This tends to be rather noisy, especially in remote areas
with few other noises?

Transmission lines go over some ridges and along others, they tend
to go round hills.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Anderton

On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 10:47:02 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

Thank you all for your replies, I will try some other tree surgeons,
this one was the only one who has given me a written estimate out off
the first batch I have tried. Ideally I wanted one who would deal with
the local council to get the removal permission, most want the
permission first, so I will apply to the council myself and see how I fare.

If the procedure is the same where you are as in Dorset, getting
permission is simply a matter of filling in a couple of sheets of
paper from the local council and waiting for a couple of weeks.

As others have said, switching off the supply seems like over-kill. I
recently had some builders on the roof, within 10-15 feet of a similar
overhead supply and the electricity board came out and put bright
yellow plastic sheathing on the cable.

That, plus removing the overhead to my house and connecting up the
replacement underground supply (which I'd installed) cost me ~ £2,000
but that included the cost of the armoured cable and a generator for
the day (so my neighbour could continue work)

Cheers,

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 19:48:01 GMT someone who may be John Anderton
wrote this:-

As others have said, switching off the supply seems like over-kill. I
recently had some builders on the roof, within 10-15 feet of a similar
overhead supply and the electricity board came out and put bright
yellow plastic sheathing on the cable.

People at work need to take reasonable precautions for their own and
other people's safety. The tree people are presumably not trained in
electrical safety, so sleeving the lines is a sensible precaution.
As well as touching the lines directly they may make contact with a
tool or ladder.

Is the tree close enough to the line that the possibility of a
branch striking the line and bringing it down on somebody below is
worth guarding against? If so then that would be a reason for
isolating the line, as per the original posting. Disconnecting the
conductors would only be necessary if they would be struck.

Those trained in electrical safety could approach such a line much
more closely while it is energised and even work on it live. Indeed
it is possible to work on 400,000V lines live, if one knows what one
is doing and has taken the appropriate precautions. However, this is
not something for tree surgeons.

Note for the stupid - don't try this yourself. Being electrocuted is
not a pleasant way to die and it usually takes longer then people
think. At the low voltages of house type wiring it is not a matter
of dying instantly in a shower of sparks as in films.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek ^

wrote this:-

One day in the mid '60s a mobile microwave link was being set up on
top of a remote hill. The gang, as always, went out in plenty of time
and having had no difficulty in proving the link took the mast back
down and went to the pub in the van. After lunch they went back to the
site and found a very heavy mist had come down, anyway they parked the
vehicle and the apprentice amongst them elevated the mast by standing
alongside the van and operating a lever that controlled the hydraulic
mast. The mast went up and came into contact with a High Voltage
overhead line hidden in the mist. The apprentice was killed instantly.

The van had been parked in a slightly different spot than before their
lunch.

How slightly different was slightly different? A few metres?

Who knows? In the fog they could even have turned into the wrong
field.

Did they not spot the line before going to the pub?

Maybe not, or they forgot about it. Or see above.

Did they not hear the electricity leaking across the insulators in
the mist?

May not have been that high KV.

This tends to be rather noisy, especially in remote areas
with few other noises?

Except an OB vehicle with its engine running not to mention a
generator.

Transmission lines go over some ridges and along others, they tend
to go round hills.

Well then. Hill? Ridge?

They sure learnt their geography lesson the hard way.

My original post contains a clue as to why their perception of risk
might not have been as sharp as one might have expected.

After leaving the Corporation I ran a private TV Studio with it's own
OB vehicle. After a short while I made it a rule never to rig in the
morning and then go to a pub for lunch, for a recording in the
afternoon, which would have been appropriate for the geographical area
we covered. IME something always went wrong, not nec. related to the
pub lunch, could be a bad videotape or a power cut, but whatever
something always seemed to go wrong.

Could be I'd been sensitised to it.

However by way of satisfying myself I made a posting on
uk.tech.broadcast to see if anybody could recall the incident. I left
the BBC in 1972 after 3 years with them and the incident was historic
even then, though most older engineers could recall the persons
involved on first name terms.

It turns out nobody so far has any recollection of this incident, but
surprisingly similar (some actually practically identical) accidents
with radio masts have continued to happen with depressing frequency,
including one on the railway.

Others involved guying the mast to the Land-Rover, then driving away
in it. Or driving up the M6 with the mast extended and bringing down
the power lines across the Motorway on a Bank Holiday Saturday. :-))

This link will take you to the (live) thread in Google Groups.

http://snipurl.com/rdrj

DG

Cost of heating and electricity Steven O. Home Ownership 14 March 13th 06 08:45 PM
Gas or Electric? phaeton Home Repair 22 October 27th 05 12:21 AM
New gas furnace time [email protected] Home Repair 22 February 19th 05 03:19 AM
HOW DO YOU GUYS FIGURE PROFIT? Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT Woodworking 26 September 29th 03 01:46 AM