Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kevin

Default Shade Sails - anyone used one?

Currently doing up the garden and have just pulled down a rotting pergola
that had the dual purpose of providing shade and giving privacy from next
doors first floor balcony.

I don't particularly want to put a new pergola up and came across "Shade
Sails" which are a triangular 'sail' that you put up horizontally using 3
posts or wall as the situation dictates. This would fit the bill nicely.
Would also give protection when bbq'ing during the British summer - ahem.

They look quite good and will be easier to install but I'm not sure of the
permanency of it. I know they would be better off put away for the winter
but I'm wondering about the practicality of leaving it up over the summer.
Would they drive me to distraction during windy weather with the flapping
noises, would they end up ripping etc.

Anyone have any experience of them?

URL to give an idea of what I'm talking about http://sailshadeworld.co.uk/

TIA
Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Kevin" contains these words:

URL to give an idea of what I'm talking about http://sailshadeworld.co.uk/

Hmm, site doesn't work under FireFox! I'd be worried about windy days.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kevin

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "Kevin" contains these words:

URL to give an idea of what I'm talking about
http://sailshadeworld.co.uk/

Hmm, site doesn't work under FireFox! I'd be worried about windy days.

--
Skipweasel

Weird, I only use firefox - it works fine for me
Perhaps the site was playing up.

Yup, high wind is a concern for me.
I'm thinking perhaps of installing in such a way so I can erect and
dismantle on demand.
Pulleys perhaps?

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Kevin" contains these words:

Weird, I only use firefox - it works fine for me
Perhaps the site was playing up.

All I get is a pale yellow page with logos on and a dark blue stripe
down the middle.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

Guy King wrote:
The message
from "Kevin" contains these words:

URL to give an idea of what I'm talking about http://sailshadeworld.co.uk/

Hmm, site doesn't work under FireFox! I'd be worried about windy days.

Try going back to the site and holding shift (or is it Control)when you
click the "refresh" button on the browser. Might have a duff page stuck
in a cache somewhere..

Anyway, on viewing the sails (from Firefox :¬) ) It looks like they
are pretty robust, and, I would guess, the idea of having a mix of high
and low fixing points _may_ serve to reduce the amount of "parachuting"
of the fabric.

On the downloadable D-I-Y instructions
http://sailshadeworld.co.uk/shapes/D...Structures.pdf
They do urge on the side of caution when choosing mounting points
because....
"In instances of poor weather and strong winds, the loads placed on the
sail are enormous, and should not be underestimated."

I have seen similar things in the UK.
One such beast is outside the local "VUE" cinema. It's a massive
structure and has been there for quite a number of years now.

Pete
http://Water-Rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from ;¬)" contains these
words:

Try going back to the site and holding shift (or is it Control)when you
click the "refresh" button on the browser. Might have a duff page stuck
in a cache somewhere..

Nope, still a blank blue stripe. The source for it doesn't contain any
text as such, just a load of font definitions.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Colin Wilson

URL to give an idea of what I'm talking about http://sailshadeworld.co.uk/
Hmm, site doesn't work under FireFox! I'd be worried about windy days.

Works for me under Firefox - check out their comments page :-p

Saying that, they`ll probably delete it asap, so here it is in full

-----
Your website is horrendously unfriendly - no right clicking (I use mouse
gestures under Firefox), warnings about copying if you happen to hover
your mouse in the wrong place.

That's a sale lost anyway - as long as you're happy to **** potential
customers off, potential customers will go elsewhere - like me.
-----

Not that I was going to buy anything off them anyway, but they might as
well know it`ll scare people away :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Colin Wilson contains these words:

Your website is horrendously unfriendly - no right clicking (I use mouse
gestures under Firefox), warnings about copying if you happen to hover
your mouse in the wrong place.

And anyway - it's so easy to copy things even when a site blocks
right-clicking.

I'm still getting nothing from it though.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

Colin Wilson wrote:

Not that I was going to buy anything off them anyway, but they might as
well know it`ll scare people away :-)

I also found their site most ugly in operation. What with that stupid
"navigation" tab chasing me around. And the "DO NOT COPY" on all the
pictures was the biggest pile of pants. All I wanted to do was click a
picture to see if it would go any bigger!

Bloody Aussies.

http://Water-Rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from =?ISO-8859-15?Q?=22Pet_=40_www=2Egymratz=2Eco=2Euk_=3B=AC=29= 22?=
contains these words:

I also found their site most ugly in operation.

And yet the people who are responsible for the web editor that wrote it
are very proud of it - says so all the way through the code.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from contains these words:

Working ok here. Do blueblunder use similar 'transparent' caches to NTL?

Dunno - I've checked this end and I was using a direct connection - I've
also tried it through BY's proxy server and it's just the same.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GymRatZ

Guy King wrote:

Dunno - I've checked this end and I was using a direct connection - I've
also tried it through BY's proxy server and it's just the same.

I always leave MS I.E. on my PC just for such occasions.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kevin

On the downloadable D-I-Y instructions
http://sailshadeworld.co.uk/shapes/D...Structures.pdf
They do urge on the side of caution when choosing mounting points
because....
"In instances of poor weather and strong winds, the loads placed on the
sail are enormous, and should not be underestimated."

I have seen similar things in the UK.
One such beast is outside the local "VUE" cinema. It's a massive
structure and has been there for quite a number of years now.

Pete
http://Water-Rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.

I've been looking at a few different suppliers and the instructions all look
suspiciously similar, implying a common supply or overt copying

Most have the 'consider the effect of high wind when selecting site' get out
statement but I'm not sure if this is a arse covering exercise or a tangible
risk.

The sail I'm looking at is 5m triangular and I would install it with an
inbuilt slope, high to low.

Anyway, apologies for my poor selection of web site to give an example.
There were plenty of others I just picked a bad 'un.

Cheers all

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

On Tue, 23 May 2006 15:06:44 +0100, Kevin wrote:

Anyone have any experience of them?

We have one in Italy on top of a hill in an area subject to katabatic
winds. Provided that the sail is well made and well secured it shouldn't be
a problem.

http://www.unopiu.co.uk/linee.asp?linea=91&Categoria=12

Page 7-9 of their "umbrellas" PDF catalogue gives examples.

http://www.unopiu.co.uk/catalogo/_en/174-185.pdf

They are now selling in the UK, my wife found a paper catalogue in her last
copy of some house magazine or other.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

On Tue, 23 May 2006 15:06:44 +0100, Kevin wrote:

URL to give an idea of what I'm talking about http://sailshadeworld.co.uk/

Jings, what an appaling web****e, and no prices.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil

Kevin wrote:
[...]

Go to your local sailmakers/chandlers (helps to be by a dock/coast) and
they'll run up virtually anything for you - and help out with the
rigging. Bristol/Albion dockside is good for this. Probably way cheaper
too.

Phil.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from GymRatZ contains these words:

I always leave MS I.E. on my PC just for such occasions.

How would you take it off? MS have gone to great lengths to make it hard
to remove.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Guy King wrote:
The message
from GymRatZ contains these words:

I always leave MS I.E. on my PC just for such occasions.

How would you take it off? MS have gone to great lengths to make it hard
to remove.

You never know when you might need it. A lot of important sites aren't
fully functional in Firefox, e.g. Inland Revenue.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Stuart Noble contains these words:

I always leave MS I.E. on my PC just for such occasions.

How would you take it off? MS have gone to great lengths to make it hard
to remove.

You never know when you might need it. A lot of important sites aren't
fully functional in Firefox, e.g. Inland Revenue.

Indeed - that's how I was able to see the crapulent sailsite.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
Guy King wrote:
The message
from GymRatZ contains these words:

I always leave MS I.E. on my PC just for such occasions.

How would you take it off? MS have gone to great lengths to make it hard
to remove.

You never know when you might need it. A lot of important sites aren't
fully functional in Firefox, e.g. Inland Revenue.

It might be more correct to say that a lot of important sites aren't designed
correctly and appear to be set to corruptly (both senses) work only with a
specific commercial product. Where that happens with public sites the public
organisation concerned should be advised that they appear to be acting
corruptly.

I leave it to you to decide whether that applies to the Inland Revenue site
and whether you can cope with the flak that may fly if you do complain. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen Gower

Kevin wrote:

I don't particularly want to put a new pergola up and came across "Shade
Sails" which are a triangular 'sail' that you put up horizontally using 3
posts or wall as the situation dictates. This would fit the bill nicely.
Would also give protection when bbq'ing during the British summer - ahem.

Ikea do something like this, but were out of stock when I last
visited MK:
http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...ductId =53759
(aka http://masl.to/?A2F52282D )

...but depending on your opinion of Ikea it might be worth a look.
--
Selah
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , GymRatZ
wrote:

I always leave MS I.E. on my PC just for such occasions.

Whereas I would inform the author that their code is incompatible. Then I
would shop elsewhere. I do the same with those who use 0870 numbers as their
primary contact.

--
AJL