Old May 22nd 06, 08:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
mentalguy2004

Default Can you use a steamer to remove paper from plasterboard?

Friends of ours are moving into their new house and asked if it was possible
to take the wallpaper off with a steamer. Sounds like the paper has gone up
over plasterboard, but wouldn't there be some sort of lining paper? If not,
what's the easiest way so as not to damage the walls? They want to paint
directly onto the plasterboard which I'm dubious about.

I'm tempted to say no just so I don't get asked to do it

Old May 22nd 06, 08:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

mentalguy2004 wrote:
Friends of ours are moving into their new house and asked if it was
possible to take the wallpaper off with a steamer. Sounds like the
paper has gone up over plasterboard, but wouldn't there be some sort
of lining paper? If not, what's the easiest way so as not to damage
the walls? They want to paint directly onto the plasterboard which
I'm dubious about.

I'm tempted to say no just so I don't get asked to do it

I've always been against papering direct to plasterboard for this reason.
Whatever you do, steaming it off will also wet the boards surface,best
solution is to steam it off and let it dry out then have it skimmed.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Old May 22nd 06, 08:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"mentalguy2004" writes:
Friends of ours are moving into their new house and asked if it was possible
to take the wallpaper off with a steamer. Sounds like the paper has gone up
over plasterboard, but wouldn't there be some sort of lining paper? If not,

The plasterboard surface should be sealed before papering,
specifically so you can get it off. Apparently it often
isn't in newbuilds.

what's the easiest way so as not to damage the walls? They want to paint
directly onto the plasterboard which I'm dubious about.

I really doubt you will be able to and get acceptable results,
unless the plasterboard was properly sealed. Otherwise it will
need a skim of plaster first. Can they paint the paper, or is
is textured?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old May 22nd 06, 08:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
mentalguy2004

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
"mentalguy2004" writes:
[...]

I don't know if it's flat, textured or what. I made the mistake of listening
to my wife who went round there, and as usual I get half a story

Old May 22nd 06, 08:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
John

I've got this problem in my house. It's damn near impossible to get the
wallpaper off even with a steamer.
If you try, it takes ages and you don't know when the wallpaper stops
and the plasterboard paper starts. It's even more difficult to spot the
join when it's all wet and steamy.
Once you start, you're committed so think about it carefully first. If
possible, decorate over the existing paper.
The only wall I've managed to renovate successfully required new
plasterboard and a top skim.
I was removing wood chip if that makes any difference.
Good luck

John

Old May 22nd 06, 09:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"mentalguy2004" wrote in message

I don't know if it's flat, textured or what. I made the mistake of
listening to my wife who went round there, and as usual I get half a story

You should listen properly!

Mary

Old May 22nd 06, 09:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
mentalguy2004

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"mentalguy2004" wrote in message

I don't know if it's flat, textured or what. I made the mistake of
listening to my wife who went round there, and as usual I get half a
story

You should listen properly!

Mary

Hey, that's what SHE said!

Old May 22nd 06, 09:37 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"mentalguy2004" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"mentalguy2004" wrote in message

I don't know if it's flat, textured or what. I made the mistake of
listening to my wife who went round there, and as usual I get half a
story

You should listen properly!

Mary

Hey, that's what SHE said!

I bet she's fed up of saying it too.

Mary

Old May 22nd 06, 11:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

mentalguy2004 wrote:

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"mentalguy2004" wrote in message

I don't know if it's flat, textured or what. I made the mistake of
listening to my wife who went round there, and as usual I get half a
story

You should listen properly!

Mary

Hey, that's what SHE said!

If you had done that, you would still be scratching your head. Very few
people an convey what they mean by speech, let alone a wife.

Sorry Mary :-)

Dave
Old May 22nd 06, 11:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

mentalguy2004 wrote:

Friends of ours are moving into their new house and asked if it was possible
to take the wallpaper off with a steamer. Sounds like the paper has gone up
over plasterboard, but wouldn't there be some sort of lining paper? If not,
what's the easiest way so as not to damage the walls? They want to paint
directly onto the plasterboard which I'm dubious about.

I'm tempted to say no just so I don't get asked to do it

While the weather is set to rain, get as much steam into the room as is
possible. Pots of boiling water, as many electric kettles you can find,
steamer going full blast, until you think you are in a tropical forest.

You will now find that the paper will almost drop off the walls without
a scraper being used.

Oh! I forgot. Do this very early morning, or late at night, assuming
that there has not been any heating in the house. If there is heating
on, even at this late stage in the year, turn it off and open all doors
and windows for several hours before bringing up the steam levels. This
way, all the walls will be as cold as you can make them and the steam
will condense all the more onto them.

HTH

Dave