Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

Default Can you use a steamer to remove paper from plasterboard?

In article ,
"mentalguy2004" writes:
Friends of ours are moving into their new house and asked if it was possible
to take the wallpaper off with a steamer. Sounds like the paper has gone up
over plasterboard, but wouldn't there be some sort of lining paper? If not,

The plasterboard surface should be sealed before papering,
specifically so you can get it off. Apparently it often
isn't in newbuilds.

what's the easiest way so as not to damage the walls? They want to paint
directly onto the plasterboard which I'm dubious about.

I really doubt you will be able to and get acceptable results,
unless the plasterboard was properly sealed. Otherwise it will
need a skim of plaster first. Can they paint the paper, or is
is textured?

--
Andrew Gabriel