Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

Default Can you use a steamer to remove paper from plasterboard?

I've got this problem in my house. It's damn near impossible to get the
wallpaper off even with a steamer.
If you try, it takes ages and you don't know when the wallpaper stops
and the plasterboard paper starts. It's even more difficult to spot the
join when it's all wet and steamy.
Once you start, you're committed so think about it carefully first. If
possible, decorate over the existing paper.
The only wall I've managed to renovate successfully required new
plasterboard and a top skim.
I was removing wood chip if that makes any difference.
Good luck

John