Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dustie

Default 20 year rising damp guarantee

Hi there

I bought my house in October 1998 and it came with a 20 Year damp-course
guarantee (the work was performed in 1992) . This was failing and this
problem was noticed on the survey and it recommended I pursue the matter.
Well, I was lot younger, very naive and didn't worry about it too much.
About a year after moving in, it became obvious that the fresh paint job
that was done before the house went on the market was done purely to cover
up the problem that was manifesting. Unfortunately, some bad personal stuff
happened to me around the same time and I entered a very long depression
which lasted years and, to be honest, I couldn't summon up the energy to
pursue the matter and I stupidly let it slide. Of course, I've now been here
over seven years and ALL the lower ground walls are a complete mess and they
need sorting.

I made a tentative stab to sort it out a few years ago and spoke to the
providers of the certificate (the company who provided the chemicals) and
they passed me onto the people who'd actually installed the damp-proofing
course.. I got nowhere because I didn't have the "plans" of the work that
had been done and they said they couldn't help. I've now recently located
the plans with the deeds of the house and you can see that some walls had
work done but others didn't.. Either way, ALL the lower grounds walls are a
real state now with the worst having salt growing off them...

So.... What should I do about this? I feel pretty stupid though that I've
left this too long and the treatment comapny (who are still in business) are
going to tell me to take a running jump and that the damage is too severe
now..!

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. This matter has given me a lot
of sleepless nights recently...

cheers

Daz

Damp meters Zoinks UK diy 14 March 24th 06 05:39 PM
Preserva - Damp Treatment - Recommendations? seani UK diy 21 January 30th 06 09:21 PM
Pinewood Derby - Part Deux -Bring It On Sylvan. Xylem Woodworking 6 December 20th 05 09:37 AM
Damp under upstairs window. Porous sill? Phil Addison UK diy 61 July 3rd 04 10:31 PM
Victorian damp and chemical DPC failure Andrew Collins UK diy 14 October 31st 03 05:21 PM