Posted to uk.d-i-y
mike. buckley

Default Auto-watering from water butt

lo all.

I can find plenty of products to helpfully dispense water to my plants
from a pressurised mains feed (like an outside tap), but I can't find
anything that's suitable for a gravity feed like a water butt. Is
anybody doing this? In the height of summer my toms dry out between me
watering them before I go to work and getting back in the evening.

Thanks

--
Mike Buckley
RD350LC2 GPZ750 Turbo
Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hearn

mike. buckley wrote:
lo all.

I can find plenty of products to helpfully dispense water to my plants
from a pressurised mains feed (like an outside tap), but I can't find
anything that's suitable for a gravity feed like a water butt. Is
anybody doing this? In the height of summer my toms dry out between me
watering them before I go to work and getting back in the evening.

Thanks

Depends on your budget. I'd guess something like this:

http://www.capitalgardens.co.uk/acat...tt_Stands.html

£99, just connect it to normal hosing/drip/leaky-pipe stuff, and put a
standard mains timer on the power lead.

You might find something similar elsewhere - but these sorts of things
are out there!

Just make sure you don't end up emptying your water butt each day and
topping it up from the mains... defeats the point

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker

David Hearn wrote:
mike. buckley wrote:
lo all.

I can find plenty of products to helpfully dispense water to my
plants from a pressurised mains feed (like an outside tap), but
I can't find anything that's suitable for a gravity feed like a
water butt. Is anybody doing this? In the height of summer my
toms dry out between me watering them before I go to work and
getting back in the evening. Thanks

Depends on your budget. I'd guess something like this:

http://www.capitalgardens.co.uk/acat...tt_Stands.html

£99, just connect it to normal hosing/drip/leaky-pipe stuff, and
put a standard mains timer on the power lead.

Wowser - that's not cheap!
Maybe try a basic pond pump in the £20-30 range.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Brentnall

Hi Mike

On Thu, 11 May 2006 14:35:20 +0100, "mike. buckley"
wrote:

lo all.

I can find plenty of products to helpfully dispense water to my plants
from a pressurised mains feed (like an outside tap), but I can't find
anything that's suitable for a gravity feed like a water butt. Is
anybody doing this? In the height of summer my toms dry out between me
watering them before I go to work and getting back in the evening.

Thanks

In our little polytunnel I use a brown plastic drip-feeder pipe which
has built-in dripper valves every 6 inches or so. Known as water-but
pipe - works off low pressure water only.

As the polytunnel is 'uphill' from the bungalow, it just so happens
that the head of water from the storage tank in the loft is about
right for the drippers. They are turned on & off with a plug-in amins
timer - which controls a mains-operated washing-machine inlet valve -
costs about a fiver from CPC (www.cpc.co.uk - search for 'water
valve'.

The timer is set to come on & off for selectable 15min periods
throughout the day (mainly to save cooking the washing machine valve)
- and waters a row of tomatoes in ring culture, and four raised beds -
each 4ft x 10ft.

I looked at the time for low voltage solenoid valves - but they're all
much more expensive. If you're friendly with your local scrap dealer
then you might even find them second-hand for much less money !

Hope this helps
Adrian
Suffolk UK

======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On Thu, 11 May 2006 14:35:20 +0100 someone who may be "mike.
buckley" wrote this:-

I can find plenty of products to helpfully dispense water to my plants
from a pressurised mains feed (like an outside tap), but I can't find
anything that's suitable for a gravity feed like a water butt. Is
anybody doing this?

I saw something like this on a web site a few weeks ago, so yes
people are doing this. AFAIR the components came in kits for typical
applications or separately.

Can't remember where it was, but searching for rainwater harvesting
may produce something.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomas Prufer

wrote:

I can find plenty of products to helpfully dispense water to my plants
from a pressurised mains feed (like an outside tap), but I can't find
anything that's suitable for a gravity feed like a water butt. Is
anybody doing this? In the height of summer my toms dry out between me
watering them before I go to work and getting back in the evening.

http://www.blumat.at/Weninger_engl/s...set1_engl.html

50 cm of head is enough, though not with the dripper extenders, just the simple
tube things.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
mike. buckley wrote:
lo all.

I can find plenty of products to helpfully dispense water to my plants
from a pressurised mains feed (like an outside tap), but I can't find
anything that's suitable for a gravity feed like a water butt. Is
anybody doing this? In the height of summer my toms dry out between me
watering them before I go to work and getting back in the evening.

How about hooking up an old windscreen washer pump, 12v battery (with
solar charger?), timer to run the pump for a few minutes every hour ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil

mike. buckley wrote:
lo all.

I can find plenty of products to helpfully dispense water to my plants
from a pressurised mains feed (like an outside tap), but I can't find
anything that's suitable for a gravity feed like a water butt. Is
anybody doing this? In the height of summer my toms dry out between me
watering them before I go to work and getting back in the evening.

Thanks

--
Mike Buckley
RD350LC2 GPZ750 Turbo
http://www.toastyhamster.org
BONY#38

Gravity fed watering:

http://www.capitalgardens.co.uk/acat...ip_Heads2.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message .com
from "Phil" contains these words:

_Drip_Heads

Plenty of them round here.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Hodges

mike. buckley wrote:
lo all.

I can find plenty of products to helpfully dispense water to my plants
from a pressurised mains feed (like an outside tap), but I can't find
anything that's suitable for a gravity feed like a water butt. Is
anybody doing this? In the height of summer my toms dry out between me
watering them before I go to work and getting back in the evening.

Thanks

I used the hozelock kit but without the pressure reducing valve (~£25-30
from B+Q) with short runs of pipe. On the longest "On" period per day
after sunset it was giving ~10 l/day averaged over a week (as the level
in the butt reduced). If you raise the butt and have a length of
standard hosepipe to increase the drop the flow would increase quite a
bit, and it should be good enough for you. Or don't use the timer.

Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk