Posted to uk.d-i-y
elziko

Default Attic Room

I'm in the process of buying a house and the seller has created an attic
room. When such a conversion is made what would the seller need to have got
in order with regards to planining permission and buliding regs etc.? I
think we need to make sure that the conversion is all above board!

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock

"elziko" wrote in message
I'm in the process of buying a house and the seller has created an attic
room. When such a conversion is made what would the seller need to have
got in order with regards to planining permission and buliding regs etc.?
I think we need to make sure that the conversion is all above board!

TIA

I may be wrong; but if the Estate Agent's detail specify 'Attic Room' (aka
weasel-words) rather than 'Loft'; it's a fair indication that Planning
Permission has not been
obtained, it wouldn't be needed, and the Attic-space need not comply with
any Building Regulations which mainly are for 'habitable rooms' and cover
strength, thermal insulation, ventilation, fire-resistance and access. Are
you trying to say; - 'I'm in the process ... attic room ... where people may
be sleeping ...'?

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
elziko

Brian Sharrock wrote:
Are you trying to say; - 'I'm in the process ... attic
room ... where people may be sleeping ...'?

The estate agent did specify "Attic Room" rather than bedroom, although when
we viewed it, it did contain a bed but personally we're more likely to use
it as a study. However, part of the reason we put the offer down is because
it had an extra room which, who knows, in the future we may want to use as a
bedroom.

Are you saying it could be badly built since you only need to pass it
through building regs. if you intend to *sleep* in it? I have seen the word
habitable used in building regs. guides. Does this refer to a bedroom rather
than something like a study?

Thanks very much for your reply!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock

"elziko" wrote in message
Brian Sharrock wrote:
Are you trying to say; - 'I'm in the process ... attic
room ... where people may be sleeping ...'?

The estate agent did specify "Attic Room" rather than bedroom, although
when we viewed it, it did contain a bed

Yep: a room containing a bed doth not a bedroom make!
The Estate Agent is using _weasel words_ as he's liable if he mistakenly
describes the space as a bedroom.

................. but personally we're more likely to
use it as a study. However, part of the reason we put the offer down is
because it had an extra room which, who knows, in the future we may want
to use as a bedroom.

Before using it in the future you would be personally liable to ensure that
it met the criteria of a bedroom . {Assuming it's a house rather than a
bungalow - there's fr'instnace a requirement for self-closers on doors etc.
'escape' methods ...}.
[Recently a nearby bungalow was an executor's sale: it had an 'Attic Room',
complete with dormer window, a boarded floor, plaster(boarded) walls et. al
.... the purchaser had to apply and obtain Building Reg's approval (Building
Notice) to make it a 'bedroom', (quite an expensive operation)]

Are you saying it could be badly built

No! It _may_ have been built 'like the proverbial outhouse' ...
But it's like Sherlock Holme's dog ... the odd thing, it didn't make it's
presence known by barking, ... why is 'your' room described as an 'Attic
Room', could it not have a 'sign-off' from a BCO? Ask the Estate-Agent for a
_written_ statement.

...............since you only need to pass it through building regs.
if you intend to *sleep* in it? I have seen the word habitable used in
building regs. guides. Does this refer to a bedroom rather than something
like a study?

The regulations which are intended to safeguard life in general - such as
balustrude heights, stairs, doorways etc - talk about 'habitable' spaces
differentiating from 'kitchens, bathrooms, toilets .. etc. (one is presumed
to not spend long periods in such room and to remain awake). 'Living Rooms'
such as lounges, study, 'media-rooms' et.al. are ipso facto 'habitable' but
the Regs are more specific about rooms where one may be sleeping. [A fire
might erupt two floors down and the building might be ablaze before a
sleeping person becomes aware ... ] In general: after accidents happens, the
cry goes up; - 'Something must be done!" ... and 'we' have Building
Regulations which may be considered as the collective wisdom of UK Housing -
our book of 'Somethings' !

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
rjs

elziko wrote:

I'm in the process of buying a house and the seller has created an attic
room. When such a conversion is made what would the seller need to have got
in order with regards to planining permission and buliding regs etc.? I
think we need to make sure that the conversion is all above board!

TIA

Funnily enough our place has just such a room. I use it as my study.
But when we viewed the property the room had a mattress in situ.

We've just finished conducting our (hopefully) architect round prior to
doubling the size of the house (including attic space) and he, amid much
teeth sucking, speculated that we might have to sell the attic to the
BCO as increased storage space - something we manifestly lack, hence the
building work.

Richard

--
Real email address is RJSavage at BIGFOOT dot COM