Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Default Scooter transmission oil is SE = EP

dave wrote:

Just want to replace the transmnission oil (all 0.11L of it) in a 2 stroke
scooter. The book say use 10/30 SE oil in the transmission. Can't find any oil
in the mighty Halfords that has the SE bit at the end. Is SE the same thing as
EP (Extreme pressure)?

No SE should read SAE. It's engine oil. There won't be much pressure in
a two stroke they work on whizzing aluminium, not pumping iron.

I imagine that the self mixing modern engines pump the oil through the
crank journals and needs to be fairly fluid. I worked in a saw mill
once and almost everything except the hydraulics were running on diesel
as a lube, even the chainsaws.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Weatherlawyer wrote:
dave wrote:
Just want to replace the transmnission oil (all 0.11L of it) in a 2 stroke
scooter. The book say use 10/30 SE oil in the transmission. Can't find any oil
in the mighty Halfords that has the SE bit at the end. Is SE the same thing as
EP (Extreme pressure)?

No SE should read SAE. It's engine oil. There won't be much pressure in
a two stroke they work on whizzing aluminium, not pumping iron.

It's gearbox oil, not total-loss two-stroke lubricant. He should go to
a motor factor, and read the side of a container of 10/30 to see if it's
good enough.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message . com
from "Weatherlawyer" contains these words:

I imagine that the self mixing modern engines pump the oil through the
crank journals and needs to be fairly fluid.

Don't know about now, but they /used/ to just dribble it into the inlet
port just downstream of the carb.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
mike

Guy King wrote in
:

I imagine that the self mixing modern engines pump the oil through the
crank journals and needs to be fairly fluid.

Don't know about now, but they /used/ to just dribble it into the inlet
port just downstream of the carb.

Both true, but that lubes the crankcase.

There's also the gearbox and perhaps final drive; I think that's what dave
means.

Ex bretta fancier

mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message . 4
from mike contains these words:

There's also the gearbox and perhaps final drive; I think that's what dave
means.

Yup - and just about any gear oil would do, I suspect.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mrcheerful

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message . com
from "Weatherlawyer" contains these words:

I imagine that the self mixing modern engines pump the oil through the
crank journals and needs to be fairly fluid.

Don't know about now, but they /used/ to just dribble it into the inlet
port just downstream of the carb.

he is asking about transmission oil, not engine oil.

mrcheerful

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "mrcheerful
." contains these words:

I imagine that the self mixing modern engines pump the oil through the
crank journals and needs to be fairly fluid.

Don't know about now, but they /used/ to just dribble it into the inlet
port just downstream of the carb.

he is asking about transmission oil, not engine oil.

I know that, but the subject had drifted onto 2-stroke oil and I was
answering the comment about self-mizing 2-strokes pumping the oil
through the crank.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
mike

Guy King wrote in
:

he is asking about transmission oil, not engine oil.

I know that, but the subject had drifted onto 2-stroke oil and I was
answering the comment about self-mizing 2-strokes pumping the oil
through the crank.

That was for wimps, I had to put it in the fanny barnett's tank, pick the
bile up and give it a shake.

Villiers....MMmmm

mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

mike wrote:
Guy King wrote in
:

he is asking about transmission oil, not engine oil.

I know that, but the subject had drifted onto 2-stroke oil and I was
answering the comment about self-mizing 2-strokes pumping the oil
through the crank.

That was for wimps, I had to put it in the fanny barnett's tank, pick the
bil[g]e[?] up and give it a shake.

Villiers....MMmmm

I'm just trying to think what was used in the transmition of olde
ynglishe 2strokes. And what the alternative to a Francis Barnett was. I
know I had one but that's all.

Anyway it was after that that some Russian or Ironic-hurting
country-man invented the oilway through the crank idea and gave Jawa an
all too brief, 15 minutes of fame.

And if that had transmission oil.

I remember a friend had a Suzuki TS 90 (a lovely bike I wouldn't mind a
modern example of) that he was forever having trouble with. Apparantly
he never ever put oil of any kind in it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mike

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in
oups.com:

That was for wimps, I had to put it in the fanny barnett's tank, pick
the bil[g]e[?] up and give it a shake.

Sorry, typo for bike; twas meant to indicate the hairy-a***d days of
yesteryear with out 125 2strokes

I'm just trying to think what was used in the transmition of olde
ynglishe 2strokes. And what the alternative to a Francis Barnett was.
I know I had one but that's all.

You could never forget a Beezer Bantam! And Villiers engines were in a
whole bunch of bikes; I can only remember the James.

Anyway it was after that that some Russian or Ironic-hurting
country-man invented the oilway through the crank idea and gave Jawa
an all too brief, 15 minutes of fame.

Oh, Gawd, I had an abortionate CZ.

It had a declutch on the gear stick, which if you kept pressure on the
pedal to make sure it was properly engaged - we all did - negated your hand
clutch so you thought you were in a neutral. So you gave the gears another
prod, by the time you remembered about the gear clutch you could be
anywhere.

And the dual purpose kickstarter and gear lever, which meant that the
kickstarter was leftfooted. And if you stalled out you had to get into
neutral, pull out the gear pedal and rotate it into kickstart position,
start (with your left foot), put the kickstart back into gearstick mode.
grt into gear and move off.

This with half of London's taxis buses and delivery vans on your back
mudguard.

And the electrics that didn't switch off with the ignition (the czechs like
to freewheel down hills with horns blar... peeping, hence the extra luxury
of a false neutral between all gears) so the kids can turn your lights on
and toot the horn.

And if that had transmission oil.

Just about everything had a primary chaincase with clutch on the gearbox
sprocket, and a separate gearbox, which you fill and forget.

mike