Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Default Scooter transmission oil is SE = EP

dave wrote:

Just want to replace the transmnission oil (all 0.11L of it) in a 2 stroke
scooter. The book say use 10/30 SE oil in the transmission. Can't find any oil
in the mighty Halfords that has the SE bit at the end. Is SE the same thing as
EP (Extreme pressure)?

No SE should read SAE. It's engine oil. There won't be much pressure in
a two stroke they work on whizzing aluminium, not pumping iron.

I imagine that the self mixing modern engines pump the oil through the
crank journals and needs to be fairly fluid. I worked in a saw mill
once and almost everything except the hydraulics were running on diesel
as a lube, even the chainsaws.