Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb

Default replacement batteries

Some time back there was a post advising a good source for rechargeable
cells for battery powered hand tools.

My 9.6 volt Bosch (old style) battery has died. Healeys are out of stock
and at £47 each I would have been reluctant to buy anyway.
They did mention a cheaper £23 or so alternative which has a higher
amp/hour rating but still not in stock.

Questions. How easy is it to get inside the original Bosch battery
casing? Are replacement cells available, if so, where? Will my existing
charger suit the higher capacity unit?

regards
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

http://www.re-cell.co.uk/

Questions. How easy is it to get inside the original Bosch battery
casing? Are replacement cells available, if so, where? Will my existing
charger suit the higher capacity unit?

Depends on the battery pack - some are easy - they have screws, some are
a PITA since they are welded shut. If you send it to the above folks
then it becomes SEP however.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb

In message , John
Rumm writes

http://www.re-cell.co.uk/

Looks simple enough. Ta. I had rather hoped to acquire two but this is
an exchange operation.

Questions. How easy is it to get inside the original Bosch battery
casing? Are replacement cells available, if so, where? Will my
existing charger suit the higher capacity unit?

Depends on the battery pack - some are easy - they have screws, some
are a PITA since they are welded shut. If you send it to the above
folks then it becomes SEP however.

Mine's in the PITA category but what is SEP? Simple ? ****?

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gel

Try E Bay?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOSCH-9-6-VOLT...QQcmdZViewItem

Tim Lamb wrote:
Some time back there was a post advising a good source for rechargeable
cells for battery powered hand tools.

My 9.6 volt Bosch (old style) battery has died. Healeys are out of stock
and at £47 each I would have been reluctant to buy anyway.
They did mention a cheaper £23 or so alternative which has a higher
amp/hour rating but still not in stock.

Questions. How easy is it to get inside the original Bosch battery
casing? Are replacement cells available, if so, where? Will my existing
charger suit the higher capacity unit?

regards
--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y
shaun

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John

Rumm writes

Depends on the battery pack - some are easy - they have screws, some
are a PITA since they are welded shut. If you send it to the above
folks then it becomes SEP however.

Mine's in the PITA category but what is SEP? Simple ? ****?

Somebody Elses Problem

HTH

Shaun

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian C

Tim Lamb wrote:
Mine's in the PITA category but what is SEP? Simple ? ****?

"An SEP is something that we can't see, or don't see, or our brain
doesn't let us, because we think that it's somebody else's problem.
That's what SEP means. Somebody Else's Problem. If you look at it
directly you won't see it unless you know precisely what it is. Your
only hope is to catch it by suprise out of the corner of your eye."

Very useful for hiding things found in life, the universe and everything ;-)

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

Tim Lamb wrote in message
Some time back there was a post advising a good source for rechargeable
cells for battery powered hand tools.

My 9.6 volt Bosch (old style) battery has died. Healeys are out of stock
and at £47 each I would have been reluctant to buy anyway.
They did mention a cheaper £23 or so alternative which has a higher
amp/hour rating but still not in stock.

I have always rebuilt my own battery packs
If you can get them at a reasonable price Sanyo N-2600CR sub c are
excellent, but cost about £3.90 each.
Alternately a friend who plays with model race cars has tried these, and
apparently are good value for the money at £1.75 each. YMMV
http://tinyurl.com/kfe8b
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/300MAH-NIMH-su...mZ6046559362QQ
categoryZ2564QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

-- -
/9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAQEAYABgAAD/2wBDAAUDBAQEAwUEBAQFBQUGBwwIBwcHBw8LCwkMEQ8SEhEP
ERETFhwXExQaFRERGCEYGh0dHx8fExciJCIeJBweHx7/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb

In message , Mark
writes

Tim Lamb wrote in message
Some time back there was a post advising a good source for rechargeable
cells for battery powered hand tools.

My 9.6 volt Bosch (old style) battery has died. Healeys are out of stock
and at £47 each I would have been reluctant to buy anyway.
They did mention a cheaper £23 or so alternative which has a higher
amp/hour rating but still not in stock.

I have always rebuilt my own battery packs
If you can get them at a reasonable price Sanyo N-2600CR sub c are
excellent, but cost about £3.90 each.
Alternately a friend who plays with model race cars has tried these, and
apparently are good value for the money at £1.75 each. YMMV

Ni-mh though. I'll see if Healey's price is exchange or not and see if
they plan to re-order.

I don't want to chew up the casing and then regret it.

I begin to believe that the cost of battery replacements is what drives
the sale of new drills.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Tim Lamb wrote:
Some time back there was a post advising a good source for rechargeable
cells for battery powered hand tools.

As a bad source, but very, very cheap.
Wander round your local DIY store, looking for battery packs on
discount.