Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default Offers from Axminster Power Tools

I saw two sets of interesting offers from them this week.

One was for a Lamello Classic Biscuit Joiner that is 110v and being
bundled with a 110v site transformer for £189. A very good deal since
the joiner alone is normally some way north of £200.

More interesting was this week's email-shot entitled "Keeping Mum".
Yes it was their angle for Mother's Day. How did they manage to
connect it all?

"We're the first to admit that tools may not be at the top of Mum's
wish list. But by getting on with those jobs, you'll be sure to keep
Mum happy this Mother's Day"

There was even an oblique reference to "keeping mum" by the including
of an offer for a paper shredder.

Almost smooth, if a little sugary (and I am diabetic... )

However, any hopes that I might have had of selling this concept to
SWMBO were roundly dashed by there being a chainsaw slap bang in the
middle of the ad. This would make the level of risk far too high.

--

..andy

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
news

I saw two sets of interesting offers from them this week.

One was for a Lamello Classic Biscuit Joiner that is 110v and being
bundled with a 110v site transformer for £189. A very good deal since
the joiner alone is normally some way north of £200.

More interesting was this week's email-shot entitled "Keeping Mum".
Yes it was their angle for Mother's Day. How did they manage to
connect it all?

"We're the first to admit that tools may not be at the top of Mum's
wish list. But by getting on with those jobs, you'll be sure to keep
Mum happy this Mother's Day"

There was even an oblique reference to "keeping mum" by the including
of an offer for a paper shredder.

Women like having the small power screwdrivers in the kitchen drawer.

Protrade have a deal on a Makita 12v combi drill with 3 batteries, for £199
+ VAT, but they throw in a Makita impact driver for free. So, the two of
them are then reasonable.

A 12v drill/driver for £119 plus VAT and a battery circular saw for free.

If you buy 4 packs of 9,000 screws @ £100 a pack then they give you a Metabo
impact driver free too. or 3 packs and free drill/driver.

Protrade only do pro tools.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 00:07:38 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
news

I saw two sets of interesting offers from them this week.

One was for a Lamello Classic Biscuit Joiner that is 110v and being
bundled with a 110v site transformer for £189. A very good deal since
the joiner alone is normally some way north of £200.

More interesting was this week's email-shot entitled "Keeping Mum".
Yes it was their angle for Mother's Day. How did they manage to
connect it all?

"We're the first to admit that tools may not be at the top of Mum's
wish list. But by getting on with those jobs, you'll be sure to keep
Mum happy this Mother's Day"

There was even an oblique reference to "keeping mum" by the including
of an offer for a paper shredder.

Women like having the small power screwdrivers in the kitchen drawer.

Generally true. A couple of years ago B&Q had a range of slightly
smaller than normal hand cordless tools in two shades of purple which
they openly targetted for female users. These vanished quite
quickly, and I don't think that it was in exchange for cash.

Protrade have a deal on a Makita 12v combi drill with 3 batteries, for £199
+ VAT, but they throw in a Makita impact driver for free. So, the two of
them are then reasonable.

Yes, although while 12v is reasonable for an impact driver, it is on
the light side for a combi driver.

A 12v drill/driver for £119 plus VAT and a battery circular saw for free.

If you buy 4 packs of 9,000 screws @ £100 a pack then they give you a Metabo
impact driver free too. or 3 packs and free drill/driver.

Quite a lot of screws to use up....

Protrade only do pro tools.

Broadly true, although there are a few unknowns plus Draper and TTI
DIY stuff.

--

..andy

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 00:07:38 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
news

[...]

This also has a Lith-Ion battery too.

If you buy 4 packs of 9,000
screws @ £100 a pack then they give you a Metabo
impact driver free too. or 3 packs and free drill/driver.

Quite a lot of screws to use up....

Professionals will us them up very quickly. That is their market.

Protrade only do pro tools.

Broadly true, although there are a few unknowns plus Draper and TTI
DIY stuff.

--

.andy

http://www.usenet.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Holly, in France

Andy Hall wrote:
On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 00:07:38 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"

Women like having the small power screwdrivers in the kitchen drawer.

Generally true.

Glad you said generally :-)

A couple of years ago B&Q had a range of slightly
smaller than normal hand cordless tools in two shades of purple which
they openly targetted for female users. These vanished quite
quickly, and I don't think that it was in exchange for cash.

Hmm, small might be Ok but I couldn't do purple!

Protrade have a deal on a Makita 12v combi drill

Now *that's* what you want in the kitchen drawer. Funnily enough though,
ours doesn't live there.

with 3 batteries,
for £199 + VAT, but they throw in a Makita impact driver for free.
So, the two of them are then reasonable.

We bought this set recently. 270 euro IIRC so about the same price, I
mentioned it at the time.

Yes, although while 12v is reasonable for an impact driver, it is on
the light side for a combi driver.

Yes, there is a noticeable difference between this and our other one,
which I think is 14.4V but might be more, can't be bothered to go and
have a look. The 12V one is good though, and a bit smaller, which I
like. Neither are as good as the ancient Panasonic though. If I were
buying one just for myself I would definitely go for the 12V one.

--
Holly, in France
Gite to let in Dordogne, now with pool.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 23:47:52 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

I saw two sets of interesting offers from them this week.

One was for a Lamello Classic Biscuit Joiner that is 110v and being
bundled with a 110v site transformer for £189. A very good deal since
the joiner alone is normally some way north of £200.

That's really cheap but I'm slightly relieved this is still the
Classic C2 i.e. the old model and not the C3 on offer. I got a
Classic C2 240v in a systainer box with 1000 biscuits and a Lamello
(Wenger) swiss army knife for 199 quid just after Christmas from
Axminster.

Only had a quick play with it so far but hopefully I'll get the chance
to try it out in anger in a couple of weeks time making a stepped
bookshelf for under some stairs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

wrote:

I saw two sets of interesting offers from them this week.

One was for a Lamello Classic Biscuit Joiner that is 110v and being
bundled with a 110v site transformer for £189. A very good deal since
the joiner alone is normally some way north of £200.

That's really cheap but I'm slightly relieved this is still the
Classic C2 i.e. the old model and not the C3 on offer. I got a
Classic C2 240v in a systainer box with 1000 biscuits and a Lamello
(Wenger) swiss army knife for 199 quid just after Christmas from
Axminster.

That's not a bad deal either. The C3 is replacing the C2, of course,
but both are excellent.

Only had a quick play with it so far but hopefully I'll get the chance
to try it out in anger in a couple of weeks time making a stepped
bookshelf for under some stairs.

You'll appreciate the precision.

I have the TOP 20, and that's a pleasure to use.

--

..andy

http://www.usenet.com

Cheapo Power Tools Magician UK diy 76 March 28th 05 10:59 PM
For peer review, new FAQ section: Power Tools. John Rumm UK diy 87 March 8th 05 09:43 PM
Quality Of Tools cisco kid UK diy 145 June 14th 04 01:56 PM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM
testing ATX power supply tempus fugit Electronics Repair 12 January 13th 04 05:03 PM