Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
David Peters

Default HELP! How catch dust in vaccuum when drilling wall?

I want to catch the brick & plaster dust when I drill a hole in
the wall at home.

I usually use my ordinary vaccuum cleaner (held by someone else)
to catch the dust as I drill. It works really well. And it
extracts and remaining debris in the drill hole which might
prevent a wall plug going in.

However the brick & plaster dust block up the vaccuum cleaner's
bag. Yes, it's one of the older vaccuum cleaners with a bag.

How can I fix up something which will trap the dust before it gets
to the bag?

I was thinking of somehow using some filter material: perhaps a
bit of densely woven fabric, or perhaps a square cut fro m an old
vaccuum cleaner bag. Any other ideas of what material to use?

How would this best be secured? Do you think the best arrangement
is to simply trap a piece of this filter material between the
nozzle attachment and the vaccuum cleaner pipe?

Maybe there is something economical I can buy here in the UK to
attach to the vaccuum cleaner to do this job. This Drill Mate
product looks a bit elaborate for infrequent home use and I can't
think it would trap enough of the dust. Does anyone have any
experiences with it? http://www.mustget1.com/pages/drillmate.html

Any other ideas onhow to trap the masonry dust?

Maybe it is possible to somehow wet the brick with water to
control the dust? Or something else? Use a handheld water mister
spray on the drill bit while drilling?

David

-----------

PS: In the past I used a "ceiling cup" on the drill bit but it
was not as effective as I would have liked.

I've also seen little plastic bag gadgets which you stick to the
wall and drill into to catch the dust but these are too expensive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Mr Fixit

"David Peters" wrote in message
[...]

I usually hold get the better half to hold a dustpan against the wall
catches most of the bits
or http://www.ronhazelton.com/tips/Pape...st_Catcher.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Pete C.

David Peters wrote:

[...]

I don't know if you can find this there, but it's pretty simple so you
could probably make one.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...n.0& MID=9876

Pete C.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
nhurst

I saw a product at Lowes that was a round disc made of plastic baggy
material with a slightly adhesive back. You mark where the hole goes,
then drill through the plastic, and all the dust collects on the inside
of the plastic thing.

When you're done you just remove the drill, peel the disc off the wall
and toss it.

Unfortunately I can't remember what it's called. You might be able to
find it if you ask someone in the power tools secton about it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Brian Sharrock

"David Peters" wrote in message
I want to catch the brick & plaster dust when I drill a hole in
the wall at home.

I usually use my ordinary vaccuum cleaner (held by someone else)
to catch the dust as I drill. It works really well. And it
extracts and remaining debris in the drill hole which might
prevent a wall plug going in.

The method that works for me is;-
take an envelope and push - inwards- the two bottom corners
so it bulges to a 'pocket'; use a piece of masking tape (low tack
type is best) to affix the envelope just below the mark for the hole
(and sufficeintly far down so the Bit doesn't catch the tape) - then drill
your heart's content. The envelope will catch 99.9(recurring)% of plaster
and brick dust. Work the bit backwards and forwards to clear dust from the
hole.
With practise one can use the masking tape cum envelope for several holes.
Discard - straight into the bin. The technique was demonstrated on one of
the D-I-Y TV programmes.

However the brick & plaster dust block up the vaccuum cleaner's
bag. Yes, it's one of the older vaccuum cleaners with a bag.

Catch the debris _before_ it gets into the vacumn cleaner - envelopes are
cheap!

How can I fix up something which will trap the dust before it gets
to the bag?

Use the envelope

I was thinking of somehow using some filter material: perhaps a
bit of densely woven fabric, or perhaps a square cut fro m an old
vaccuum cleaner bag.

You're thinking too much

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Guy King

The message
from David Peters contains these words:

I want to catch the brick & plaster dust when I drill a hole in
the wall at home.

I just hold the dustpan pressed against the wall.

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

A small shop vacuum works. But easiest of all is just putting down
some newspaper on the floor below where you are drilling the hole.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 21:32:46 UTC, "Brian Sharrock"
wrote:

The method that works for me is;-
take an envelope and push - inwards- the two bottom corners
so it bulges to a 'pocket'; use a piece of masking tape (low tack
type is best) to affix the envelope just below the mark for the hole
(and sufficeintly far down so the Bit doesn't catch the tape) - then drill
your heart's content. The envelope will catch 99.9(recurring)% of plaster
and brick dust. Work the bit backwards and forwards to clear dust from the
hole.
With practise one can use the masking tape cum envelope for several holes.

Could probably adapt a large Post-It note - comes with the low tack
adhesive!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Andy Dingley

On 3 Mar 2006 13:02:04 -0800, "nhurst" wrote:

Unfortunately I can't remember what it's called.

Envelope. With a bit of masking tape attached. Works better if you
poke the corners inside out first, so as to make it bulge outwards.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 23:00:16 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article .com
nhurst wrote:
I saw a product at Lowes that was a round disc made of plastic baggy
material with a slightly adhesive back. You mark where the hole goes,
then drill through the plastic, and all the dust collects on the inside
of the plastic thing.

When you're done you just remove the drill, peel the disc off the wall
and toss it.

Unfortunately I can't remember what it's called. You might be able to
find it if you ask someone in the power tools secton about it.

A colostomy bag?

That's a crap idea.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Dave

Pete C. wrote:

I don't know if you can find this there, but it's pretty simple so you
could probably make one.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...n.0& MID=9876

I have taken a look, but can you narrow it down a bit please?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Guy King wrote:
The message
from David Peters contains these words:

I want to catch the brick & plaster dust when I drill a hole in
the wall at home.

I just hold the dustpan pressed against the wall.

I just let it drop too the floor and hoover it up after jobs finished.
Never heard so much crap in me life. Tsk!

--

Sir Benjamin Midllethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Pete C.

Dave wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

I don't know if you can find this there, but it's pretty simple so you
could probably make one.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...n.0& MID=9876

I have taken a look, but can you narrow it down a bit please?

Dave

It's a water pre filter for a shop vac. Intended for drywall dust which
also clogs vacuums pretty readily. You should be able to make one from a
5gal bucket and a few fittings if you can't find the commercial one.
Basically you have the intake come in under the water level and the
exhaust to the vacuum just at the top of the bucket.

Pete C.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
The Medway Handyman

David Peters wrote:

However the brick & plaster dust block up the vaccuum cleaner's
bag. Yes, it's one of the older vaccuum cleaners with a bag.

Buy a decent vacuum cleaner. Never mind this 'bagless' cobblers, buy a
Henry and you could drill holes all day without blocking the filter or bag.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
raden

In message , David Peters
writes
I want to catch the brick & plaster dust when I drill a hole in
the wall at home.

I usually use my ordinary vaccuum cleaner (held by someone else)
to catch the dust as I drill. It works really well. And it
extracts and remaining debris in the drill hole which might
prevent a wall plug going in.

However the brick & plaster dust block up the vaccuum cleaner's
bag. Yes, it's one of the older vaccuum cleaners with a bag.

How can I fix up something which will trap the dust before it gets
to the bag?

Double sided sticky tape and an envelope

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Lobster

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Guy King wrote:

I want to catch the brick & plaster dust when I drill a hole in
the wall at home.

I just let it drop too the floor and hoover it up after jobs finished.
Never heard so much crap in me life. Tsk!

Managed to stain a new beige carpet with brick dust recently, when I
didn't haven envelope handy. Didn't intend to drop it on the carpet, it
bypassed the dustsheet. However, it left an obvious orangey tinge at
the edge of the carpet, even after Henry had done his best. Dust wasn't
ground in or anything.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
ameijers

"John Rumm" wrote in message
David Peters wrote:

I want to catch the brick & plaster dust when I drill a hole in
the wall at home.

Myself I use either an envelope (or a bit of paper folded up into one)
and some insulating tape...

However, you may prefer:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=TL00880&N=411

I usually use my ordinary vaccuum cleaner (held by someone else)
to catch the dust as I drill. It works really well. And it
extracts and remaining debris in the drill hole which might
prevent a wall plug going in.

However the brick & plaster dust block up the vaccuum cleaner's
bag. Yes, it's one of the older vaccuum cleaners with a bag.

How can I fix up something which will trap the dust before it gets
to the bag?

If you were doing loads of it then you could perhaps build yourself a
small prefilter cyclone.

Or just go down to the thrift store or a garage sale, and buy a 5-buck shop
vac, where the only 'filter' is the washable foam cylinder around the motor,
attached by a rubber band. Mine comes in very handy for stuff like that.
Anyone who does DIY home repairs (hell, anyone who owns a home), should own
a shop vac.

aem sends...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
keith

However, you may prefer:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=TL00880&N=411

I've got one of those, It's useless....

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Chris Styles

They are called DustBubbles. We manufacture them here in Hertfordshire (UK),
and they are available in B&Q, and soon to be in Focus and Homebase. They
were in Lowes and Home Depot for a while (but as a 2-man start-up we didn't
have the resources to service the likes of those guys!)

They come in 3 varieties, each one having a different adhesive depending on
the application

- For wallpaper and painted walls (gentle adhesive, will not damage
surface)
- For wood, plaster and untreated surfaces (stronger adhesive, will
stick to bare plaster
- For Tiles (the adhesive is non-slip to stop the drill bit sliding

They might sound like the are a novelty, but they work so well that we sell
a "Contamination Control" kit that has been proven (by the UK Health and
Safety Executive) to be sufficient protection when drilling into walls
containing asbestos. We even have versions that can be used on metal which
are being trialled in the Aerospace and Food preparation industries where
swarf contamination is a genuine disaster.

For more details visit www.dustbubble.com

I have some trial packs that contain 2 of each variety listed above.

If anyone wants to try them out for free, email your postal address to
(remove the nospam) and I'll post a trial pack
to you, and of course would be interested to hear your feedback...

Thanks

Chris

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Chris Styles

The envelope will catch 99.9(recurring)% of plaster and brick dust

Sadly not....

As part of our research for the Contamination Control DustBubble Kit we
had quite a bit of particle data generated from different methods of
drilling. The envelope method is remarkably ineffective. Even the CCDB kit
is less than 99.9% effective, but it is still reduces the particle emissions
to 100x lower than the allowed limit for asbestos.

Of course it might be that the envelope method is good enough and so be it.
Some folk still use matchsticks rather than spend a few pennies on an
anchor, and in the same way people will continue to use an envelope instead
of an inexpensive product that does a far better job.

Personally I'm particularly proud of the DustBubble because they are cheap,
take no time to use and work remarkably well. Starting this business has
been a nightmare, but every time I do some drilling at home and use them it
reminds me why I did...

Cheers,

Chris

www.dustbubble.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Lobster

Chris Styles wrote:
They are called DustBubbles. We manufacture them here in Hertfordshire (UK),

snip spam which I'd have forgiven you for as it was on topic but fir
the fact that you posted it 17 times

For more details visit www.dustbubble.com

....or alternatively, visit www.oldenvelope-and-a-bit-of-masking-tape.com

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Not@home

Really effective dust control devices are expensive, so are not suited
for occasional home use. Even a vacuum (or shop vac) will only get the
larger particles; some dust will get through even the finest filter.

My suggestion for this project would be to have a long hose and a helper
for your vacuum. Remove the bag from the vacuum (to increase suction),
set the vacuum outside, run the hose inside, and let the dust fall over
the yard where mother nature can take care of it. You could even leave
the bag on if you want to minimize the mess in the yard.

David Peters wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Chris Styles

"Lobster" wrote in message
Chris Styles wrote:
They are called DustBubbles. We manufacture them here in Hertfordshire
(UK),

snip spam which I'd have forgiven you for as it was on topic but fir the
fact that you posted it 17 times

Sorry about the multiple posting... I've been having some Outlook Express
problems... it want intentional I can assure you.

For more details visit www.dustbubble.com

...or alternatively, visit www.oldenvelope-and-a-bit-of-masking-tape.com

That method is fine, just not very effective. People will continue to use
matchsticks instead of spending a few pennies on anchors and claim that they
work just as well, and this is the same.

However, if you or someone in your house have allergies, or if you are going
to be doing a lot of drilling, or if you are drilling where the substrate
might be harmful, then you might want to do the job properly, and that's
where DustBubbles come in....

Cheers,

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rob Morley

In article
John Rumm wrote:
David Peters wrote:

I want to catch the brick & plaster dust when I drill a hole in
the wall at home.

Myself I use either an envelope (or a bit of paper folded up into one)
and some insulating tape...

However, you may prefer:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=TL00880&N=411

I usually use my ordinary vaccuum cleaner (held by someone else)
to catch the dust as I drill. It works really well. And it
extracts and remaining debris in the drill hole which might
prevent a wall plug going in.

However the brick & plaster dust block up the vaccuum cleaner's
bag. Yes, it's one of the older vaccuum cleaners with a bag.

How can I fix up something which will trap the dust before it gets
to the bag?

If you were doing loads of it then you could perhaps build yourself a
small prefilter cyclone.

Or grab a Dyson from the tip and use the cyclone from that?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
David Peters

On 03 Mar 2006, Mr Fixit wrote:

I usually hold get the better half to hold a dustpan against the
wall catches most of the bits
or http://www.ronhazelton.com/tips/Pape...st_Catcher.htm

I find that the brick & plaster dust goes further and wider than
the dimensions of a bag. Maybe I a extra-sensitive to it because
I might drill above my living room carpet whereas your interesting
pictures show you using a workbench and workshop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Chris Styles

"Lobster" wrote in message
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Guy King wrote:

I want to catch the brick & plaster dust when I drill a hole in
the wall at home.

I just let it drop too the floor and hoover it up after jobs finished.
Never heard so much crap in me life. Tsk!

Managed to stain a new beige carpet with brick dust recently, when I
didn't haven envelope handy. Didn't intend to drop it on the carpet, it
bypassed the dustsheet. However, it left an obvious orangey tinge at the
edge of the carpet, even after Henry had done his best. Dust wasn't
ground in or anything.

I know you say envelopes are just as good, but if you;d had a 12 pack in
your toolbox (£1.99 at B&Q) they would have been to hand when you needed
them. It wouldnt matter about dustsheets etc, because the red brick dust
would have been captured as soon as it left the wall.

I suspect from your other post that you think DustBubbles are a waste of
time, but really, compare the cost of DustBubble (they are about 4.5p each
when bought in a trade pack) to your cost of your beige carpet that now has
a stain...

Thanks,

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Mike Halmarack

On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 18:12:12 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article
John Rumm wrote:
David Peters wrote:

[...]

Trying to get anything from the tip around these parts is treated like
attempted bank robbery. I reckon the local Chamber of Commerce are
developing a bunker mentality. Watch out for the Sucking Squad.

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
David Peters

On 04 Mar 2006, Pete C. wrote:

It's a water pre filter for a shop vac. Intended for drywall
dust which also clogs vacuums pretty readily. You should be able
to make one from a 5gal bucket and a few fittings if you can't
find the commercial one. Basically you have the intake come in
under the water level and the exhaust to the vacuum just at the
top of the bucket.

Pete C.

Is this it?

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...roduct.jsp?pn=
162029
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
David Peters

On 03 Mar 2006, nhurst wrote:

I saw a product at Lowes that was a round disc made of plastic
baggy material with a slightly adhesive back. You mark where the
hole goes, then drill through the plastic, and all the dust
collects on the inside of the plastic thing.

When you're done you just remove the drill, peel the disc off
the wall and toss it.

Unfortunately I can't remember what it's called. You might be
able to find it if you ask someone in the power tools secton
about it.

Ah, that's what I was thinking of when I mentioned I'd also seen
"little plastic bag gadgets which you stick to the wall and drill
into to catch the dust but these are too expensive".
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
David Peters

On 03 Mar 2006, Andy Dingley wrote:

Unfortunately I can't remember what it's called.

Envelope. With a bit of masking tape attached. Works better if
you poke the corners inside out first, so as to make it bulge
outwards.

Do you make a hole in the envelope so that the masking tape sticks
itself and the envelope to the wall?

Or should the masking tape be double sided to stick to the wall and
the envemope.

But I'm still not clear quite how you use the arrangement. Could you
or someone else give a bit more detail please.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
David Peters

On 03 Mar 2006, wrote:

A small shop vacuum works. But easiest of all is just putting down
some newspaper on the floor below where you are drilling the hole.

If you drill a hole for a picture which is 6 feet above ground level
then the pulverised masonry dust seems to like to travel for a long
way.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
David Peters

On 04 Mar 2006, Chris Styles wrote:

[...]

Ah so you are Mr DustBubble! :-)

In the UK DustBubble sells for about £2 for 12.
http://www.aces.uk.com/18/DustBubble/DIYDustBubble/

This is about 16p (or approx 25 US cents) each. Not so economical
really.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Peters

On 04 Mar 2006, keith wrote:

However, you may prefer:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea....jsp?SKU=TL008
80&N=411

I've got one of those, It's useless....

I was wondering how well a non-powered device like that Drill Mate
could collect all the dust.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Lobster

Chris Styles wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message

Managed to stain a new beige carpet with brick dust recently, when I
didn't haven envelope handy. Didn't intend to drop it on the carpet, it
bypassed the dustsheet. However, it left an obvious orangey tinge at the
edge of the carpet, even after Henry had done his best. Dust wasn't
ground in or anything.

I know you say envelopes are just as good, but if you;d had a 12 pack in
your toolbox (£1.99 at B&Q) they would have been to hand when you needed
them. It wouldnt matter about dustsheets etc, because the red brick dust
would have been captured as soon as it left the wall.

Actually the truth of the matter is that I was sinking an electrical
socket into a wall using an SDS chisel/drill, so the envelope trick (and
I suspect, even the wonderful DustBubble) would not really have cut the
mustard there!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
John Rumm

Chris Styles wrote:

...or alternatively, visit www.oldenvelope-and-a-bit-of-masking-tape.com

That method is fine, just not very effective. People will continue to use
matchsticks instead of spending a few pennies on anchors and claim that they
work just as well, and this is the same.

However, if you or someone in your house have allergies, or if you are going
to be doing a lot of drilling, or if you are drilling where the substrate
might be harmful, then you might want to do the job properly, and that's
where DustBubbles come in....

To be fair, I think we are dealing with two different problems he

At the simplest level of just catching the heavy dirty dust generated
when drilling brick or blockwork, then the envelope will deal with most
of the *visible* dust that would otherwise fall on your carpet, and
hence can in many cases be declared adequate.

However when you start trying to catch *all* of the dust produced,
including the very fine particulate dust that is emitted into the *air*
from the drilling site (and later settles out all over the place), then
you are into a whole new ball game. Even with vacuum collection some of
this sub micron stuff will be sucked straight through any filters and
returned to the air again. In these cases, containing the dust at the
production site is going to be more effective. This is obviously
important where the fine dust can not be tolerated either due to its
harmful nature, or its ability to contaminate.

--
Cheers,

John.