Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam

Default Flat roof

I am currently house hunting, and have come across a property that
looks mostly like what we are looking for, but with one little worry.
The property has two extensions, both of which have a flat roof.

I have heard that flat roofs can give all sorts of maintenance
headaches. Should I be worried about this? Is this something that's
going to cause long-term problems, or is a worst-case scenario that I
just have to spend a few thousand quid on replacing the roofs and then
it's OK for the next 20 years?

Many thanks

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Adam wrote:
I have heard that flat roofs can give all sorts of maintenance
headaches. Should I be worried about this?

Probably not.

Is this something that's
going to cause long-term problems,

Most probably not.

or is a worst-case scenario that I
just have to spend a few thousand quid on replacing the roofs and then
it's OK for the next 20 years?

That's about it. You should get at least 20 years out
of a properly-done felted flat roof, more like 30 if
it's not abused.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Mannix

"Adam" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am currently house hunting, and have come across a property that
looks mostly like what we are looking for, but with one little worry.
The property has two extensions, both of which have a flat roof.

I have heard that flat roofs can give all sorts of maintenance
headaches. Should I be worried about this? Is this something that's
going to cause long-term problems, or is a worst-case scenario that I
just have to spend a few thousand quid on replacing the roofs and then
it's OK for the next 20 years?

More like £500-£1000 per flat roof per 12-15 years for standard felt. The
important thing is to replace them before any leaks develop and affect the
boarding, so keep an eye on them! As long as you regard the felt coverings
on flat roofs as a consumable you'll be OK!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Many thanks

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rory

Check the type of roof. i.e. is it insulated. I had a concrete flat
roof which was felted but no real insulation under or above the
concrete. The result was a cold patch accumulating condensation and
mould growth. I ended up getting a pitched roof built over it. Also
check there is some kind of fall. Again puddles on the roof make it
cold.
Rory