Paul Andrews

Default plastic/rubber flat roof

In September I'll be installing the new roof onto my garage. I've been
looking at a DIY flat roof covering "EDPM" supposedly guaranteed 20 years
and supplied as a single sheet, made to measure, though the inside corners
are separate pieces that need to be bonded with the main sheet.. Clearly
from the photographs, the single sheet is actually joined together strips
(joined in the factory). The actual material is attached to the roof base
below in the fold off the strip, so no hole is made in the exposed material
itself. It looks rather good.

Anyone have any experience of this type of roof? I've dliberately not named
the supplier or their website for fear of being named as some spammer.

I'm planning to have a very good slope on the roof so that standing water
should be non-existent.

Paul

Grunff

Paul Andrews wrote:
In September I'll be installing the new roof onto my garage. I've been
looking at a DIY flat roof covering "EDPM" supposedly guaranteed 20 years
and supplied as a single sheet, made to measure, though the inside corners
are separate pieces that need to be bonded with the main sheet.. Clearly
from the photographs, the single sheet is actually joined together strips
(joined in the factory). The actual material is attached to the roof base
below in the fold off the strip, so no hole is made in the exposed material
itself. It looks rather good.

Anyone have any experience of this type of roof? I've dliberately not named
the supplier or their website for fear of being named as some spammer.

I'm planning to have a very good slope on the roof so that standing water
should be non-existent.

I don't have any experience of EDPM roofs, but EDPM is a very stable
rubber and should last 20 years as a roof material.

But I'm curious as to your choice of material - if you're going to have
some fall on it, have you considered box profile steel? This will
significantly outlast your rubber, and look quite a lot nicer too.

--
Grunff
Paul Andrews

"Grunff" wrote in message
Paul Andrews wrote:
[...]

Good point. I guess the rubber sheet was closest to the bitumen on the
existing gargare roof, but without any of the hassle and potentially more
reliability. I may well go for the metal roof though. The roof currently
drops a brick course over 5 metres.

The roof itself isn't visible to anyone except for the neighbour who will
directly overlook it. What about noise (I'm thinking of rain on old
corrugated sheds) - don't wan't the neighbour complaining!

Any particular recommendations?

Thanks,

Paul

--
Grunff

Grunff

Paul Andrews wrote:

Good point. I guess the rubber sheet was closest to the bitumen on the
existing gargare roof, but without any of the hassle and potentially more
reliability. I may well go for the metal roof though. The roof currently
drops a brick course over 5 metres.

I'm sure that fall is quite adequate as long as the timbers allow for
the necessary snow loading (but this would be the same for any material).

The roof itself isn't visible to anyone except for the neighbour who will
directly overlook it. What about noise (I'm thinking of rain on old
corrugated sheds) - don't wan't the neighbour complaining!

Box profile is a lot less noisy than old corrugated, but it will be more
noisy than rubber. If this is an issue, consider insulated box profile.
This has PU insulation bonded to the underside, and is virtually
noiseless (but about 3 times the price).

Any particular recommendations?

There seems to be a standard polyester coated glavanised box profile,
carried by many stockists all around the country. I'd take a look in
yell for your nearest supplier.

You'll be amazed how cheap it is, and how quickly the roof will go up.

--
Grunff
Paul Andrews

"Grunff" wrote in message

[...]