Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Dixon

Default Removing a fireplace/chimney stack completely

Dear All

I realise that this is the DIY newsgroup, and I don't plan to do this
myself but I thought you might be able to help me. I'm currently viewing
places to buy and a number of the upstairs 2nd bedrooms have fireplaces
which take up quite a significant amount of space in the room (they are
Victorian terraces that I'm looking at).

I was wondering how easy it is to knock out the fireplace and the chimney
stack to make more room as I plan to rent out the 2nd bedroom. Is it easier
said than done? Are chimneys seen as a central support in Victorian
properties?

I'd appreciate any thoughts!

Many thanks
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Richard Dixon wrote:
Dear All

I realise that this is the DIY newsgroup, and I don't plan to do this
myself but I thought you might be able to help me. I'm currently
viewing places to buy and a number of the upstairs 2nd bedrooms have
fireplaces which take up quite a significant amount of space in the
room (they are Victorian terraces that I'm looking at).

I was wondering how easy it is to knock out the fireplace and the
chimney stack to make more room as I plan to rent out the 2nd
bedroom. Is it easier said than done? Are chimneys seen as a central
support in Victorian properties?

I'd appreciate any thoughts!

Many thanks
Richard

Why would you be wondering? if you're having it done by a builder let him
do the wondering.

One thing, you need permission from the neighbour it being a party wall?

The stack has to be supported in the correct manner in the loft area.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Summers

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Richard Dixon wrote:
Dear All

SNIP

I was wondering how easy it is to knock out the fireplace and the
chimney stack to make more room as I plan to rent out the 2nd
bedroom. Is it easier said than done? Are chimneys seen as a central
support in Victorian properties?

Why would you be wondering? if you're having it done by a builder let him
do the wondering.

One thing, you need permission from the neighbour it being a party wall?

No you don't need permission from your neighbour to do it whether it's a
party wall or not.

However, you would have to comply with the party wall act if it's
on a party wall which is a different matter entirely.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Rob Summers wrote:

No you don't need permission from your neighbour to do it whether
it's a party wall or not.

However, you would have to comply with the party wall act if it's
on a party wall which is a different matter entirely.

Rob

(b) where the work is to a party structure or external wall, subject to
carrying any relevant flues and chimney stacks up to such a height and in
such materials as may be agreed between the building owner and the
adjoining owner concerned or, in the event of dispute, determined in
accordance with section 10

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Richard Dixon wrote:

I realise that this is the DIY newsgroup, and I don't plan to do this
myself but I thought you might be able to help me. I'm currently
viewing places to buy and a number of the upstairs 2nd bedrooms have
fireplaces which take up quite a significant amount of space in the
room (they are Victorian terraces that I'm looking at).

I was wondering how easy it is to knock out the fireplace and the
chimney stack to make more room as I plan to rent out the 2nd
bedroom. Is it easier said than done? Are chimneys seen as a central
support in Victorian properties?

Why would you be wondering? if you're having it done by a builder let him
do the wondering.

Er, maybe because he hasn't got a builder because he hasn't yet bought a
property?

Simple answer is yes, it's a lot easier said than done: properties vary
of course but generally a chimney breast/stack is pretty integral to the
house, and removing them needs care to ensure everything remains
properly supported. Potentially pretty expensive I'd have thought.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Christian McArdle wrote:
(b) where the work is to a party structure or external wall,
subject to carrying any relevant flues and chimney stacks up to such
a height and in such materials as may be agreed between the building
owner and the adjoining owner concerned or, in the event of dispute,
determined in accordance with section 10

Indeed. You don't need their permission. If they attempt to withhold
it, it will be granted by a court instead. However, if their flues
intrude across a straight dividing line between your houses, it
doesn't give you a right to pinch their property and close off their
chimney!

Christian.

This is costing money is it woth it?

(b) each party shall appoint a surveyor and the two surveyors so appointed
shall forthwith select a third surveyor (all of whom are in this section
referred to as "the three surveyors").
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite