Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Dixon

Default Removing a fireplace/chimney stack completely

Dear All

I realise that this is the DIY newsgroup, and I don't plan to do this
myself but I thought you might be able to help me. I'm currently viewing
places to buy and a number of the upstairs 2nd bedrooms have fireplaces
which take up quite a significant amount of space in the room (they are
Victorian terraces that I'm looking at).

I was wondering how easy it is to knock out the fireplace and the chimney
stack to make more room as I plan to rent out the 2nd bedroom. Is it easier
said than done? Are chimneys seen as a central support in Victorian
properties?

I'd appreciate any thoughts!

Many thanks
Richard