Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Default Removing a fireplace/chimney stack completely

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Richard Dixon wrote:

I realise that this is the DIY newsgroup, and I don't plan to do this
myself but I thought you might be able to help me. I'm currently
viewing places to buy and a number of the upstairs 2nd bedrooms have
fireplaces which take up quite a significant amount of space in the
room (they are Victorian terraces that I'm looking at).

I was wondering how easy it is to knock out the fireplace and the
chimney stack to make more room as I plan to rent out the 2nd
bedroom. Is it easier said than done? Are chimneys seen as a central
support in Victorian properties?

Why would you be wondering? if you're having it done by a builder let him
do the wondering.

Er, maybe because he hasn't got a builder because he hasn't yet bought a
property?

Simple answer is yes, it's a lot easier said than done: properties vary
of course but generally a chimney breast/stack is pretty integral to the
house, and removing them needs care to ensure everything remains
properly supported. Potentially pretty expensive I'd have thought.

David