Ian Nutt

Default Removing a chimney stack

Hello.
Can anyone talk me through removing a brick chimney stack? The one I
want to take out is on the first floor of a Victorian terrace. What is
involved in putting in any RSJs to support load, and what happens with
the floor? A step by step guide would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Ian Nutt
BillR

Ian Nutt wrote:
Hello.
Can anyone talk me through removing a brick chimney stack? The one I
want to take out is on the first floor of a Victorian terrace. What is
involved in putting in any RSJs to support load, and what happens with
the floor? A step by step guide would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Ian Nutt

Friend of mine had his removed by a builder. It was a major job, cost over
£2k.
They had to move out of the house for a couple of days...
One major problem wass the cast in hearth on the 1st floor.
Getting it out was major hassle and the floor joists had rebuilt afterwards
where it had been.

Mike Taylor

You do not say if you are a mid terrace and whether the stack is shared by 2
houses. If that is the case you may not be able to remove it or if you do
you will certainly need a party wall agreement and permission from your
neighbour.
The best advice is to get the services of a surveyor who will advise further
after looking at the problem and also advise on structural supports and a
method of safe working along with a structural engineer

Mike

The Natural Philosopher

Ian Nutt wrote:

Hello.
Can anyone talk me through removing a brick chimney stack? The one I
want to take out is on the first floor of a Victorian terrace. What is
involved in putting in any RSJs to support load, and what happens with
the floor? A step by step guide would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Ian Nutt

This is one I would defintely leave to a builder with insurance.

If you have to ask, you probably should not attempt it.

the cheapest source of sound advice would be a firm of structural
engineers. They will tell yiu waht you need to do in that particular
situation.

I am not even for once even going to offer an opinion beyond that ...

Chimney internal and external 'fixtures' Keith D Pipex UK diy 6 October 31st 03 04:58 PM
Advice for gas chimney PoP UK diy 4 October 18th 03 06:19 PM
Extractor fan emptying into chimney stack SC UK diy 14 August 31st 03 11:38 PM
Rainwater Coming Out Of Airbrick in a Capped Chimney BigWallop UK diy 1 July 17th 03 01:05 AM