Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Moving hot water cylinder, maybe into loft, maybe removing chimney

Owain wrote:
wrote:
1950s 3-bed semi. ...
Then there's the chimney/fireplace. It would be nice to have a square
room. The gas fire in the room below has been disconnected because we
don't use it and the room now has door across so no suitable vent to
that part. However, removing chimney in the back bedroom (not in room
below, because don't want to redecorate there) sounds like a big messy
job - is it worth it?

Probably yes, as this will give you a better proportioned room and more
space.

That's what we thought, but...

However, removing the chimney breast in the room is the easy part
- the awkward part is supporting the chimney above, which will usually
require a structural engineer's input. Such a job would be subject to
Building Control.

If the chimney is against the shared wall in the semi it might not be
possible to remove it depending on the arrangement of your and your
neighbour's flues, and the Party Wall Act will apply.

I google-grouped for removing a chimney breat after I posted, and
started to think it was a bad idea. (I'd already googled for moving HWC
before I posted, which is why I posted - good advice and
recommendations, but little indication of what is _worth_ the
time/effort/money given the present system is working; little about the
_disadvantages_ of mains pressure hot water, and no one saying how well
a raised cold tank and HWC worked for them).

You might want to consider carefully retaining the option to have a gas
fire in the living room below, especially if you are likely to sell, as
this is a "feature" liked by many buyers.

I was slightly worried about that - slightly worried about that room as
a whole - but putting doors across it wasn't as drastic as ripping the
chimney out would be.

Still totally undecided about the HWC.

Cheers,
David.

P.S. I don't ask for advice on here and then do nothing - lots of
electrical work and filling successfully carried out just before part P
thanks to responses on here the other year!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Conway

wrote:
I google-grouped for removing a chimney breat after I posted, and
started to think it was a bad idea. (I'd already googled for moving HWC
before I posted, which is why I posted - good advice and
recommendations, but little indication of what is _worth_ the
time/effort/money given the present system is working; little about the
_disadvantages_ of mains pressure hot water, and no one saying how well
a raised cold tank and HWC worked for them).

Our HWC is a combination one (Cylinder and header tank in one) in the
loft - no problems at all, although I wouldn't recommend a combination
one as the cold water part tends to be a bit on the small side and has
been known to run out during a bath - isn't too bad since I replaced the
ballcock, but before that the water used to trickle in and it could take
an hour to refill - no good it two baths in a row were needed!

You will find that the extra head you gain in lifting the header tank to
fit the HWC in underneath will give you better showers and bath filling
times I would imagine.

You might want to consider carefully retaining the option to have a gas
fire in the living room below, especially if you are likely to sell, as
this is a "feature" liked by many buyers.

I was slightly worried about that - slightly worried about that room as
a whole - but putting doors across it wasn't as drastic as ripping the
chimney out would be.

Bear in mind that leaving the chimney breast and removing the cupboards
might offer you excellant opportunity for smaller cubpoards and/or
shelving on either side of the breast.

Moving hot water cylinder, maybe into loft, maybe removing chimney [email protected] UK diy 16 December 1st 05 09:12 AM
New central heating system sam UK diy 17 January 13th 05 06:16 PM
I need a little advice on running waterlines in an uninsulated crawlspace ozark Home Repair 12 January 29th 04 05:23 AM