Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Robiette

Default Mirror fixing

I'm currently looking at bathroom mirrors, and I like the idea of just a
plain frameless one (about 600x400mm). However I don't like the fixing
methods of the ones I've looked at so far - on offer seems to be either
drilled holes which you put screws through with chrome caps, or
plastic/metal clips, neither of which I'm keen on the appearance.

I still want it to be removable, but is there any reason why I can't
just bond some metal clips on the back of it and hang it on a couple of
screws? Is it going to damage the backing, will it be strong/durable
enough? I was thinking of Araldite, would that be OK? Also found this
option, but I'd rather not have to mess around ordering if it's not
essential:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...2317&ts=56753#

Any advice/experience gratefully received

Cheers,
Martin
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alex

When fitting a heating element to my mirror I had to remove the bonded
fixing and refit further up,I used Super glue and a activator it has been
there two years now with out a problem. This is the kit that I have mirror
does not move
http://www.hib.co.uk/show_products.p...category_id=85

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Martin Robiette wrote:

I still want it to be removable, but is there any reason why I can't
just bond some metal clips on the back of it and hang it on a couple
of screws? Is it going to damage the backing, will it be
strong/durable enough? I was thinking of Araldite, would that be OK?
Also found this option, but I'd rather not have to mess around
ordering if it's not essential:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...2317&ts=56753#

Just bear in mind that mirrors are (1) heavy and (2) break into nasty sharp
shards.

I think the screwfix adhesive is meant to be used in beads spread all over
the back of the mirror. How about glueing it to a piece of ply or MDF and
screwing clips onto that?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Martin Robiette wrote:

I still want it to be removable, but is there any reason why I can't
just bond some metal clips on the back of it and hang it on a couple
of screws? Is it going to damage the backing, will it be
strong/durable enough? I was thinking of Araldite, would that be OK?
Also found this option, but I'd rather not have to mess around
ordering if it's not essential:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...2317&ts=56753#

Just bear in mind that mirrors are (1) heavy and (2) break into nasty sharp
shards.

I think the screwfix adhesive is meant to be used in beads spread all over
the back of the mirror. How about glueing it to a piece of ply or MDF and
screwing clips onto that?

I'd agree; I think you need to spread the load more if you're glueing it.

As you're dead set on having invisible fixing, can one ask why you are
so against having it fixed permanently? It wouuld look much better that
way anyway as the mirror would be flush on the wall rather than sitting
proud and/or maybe tilted where it hangs? Most people have a mirror in
the bathroom, and it's not going to be so expensive that you can't
afford to leave it behind when you move...

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Martin Robiette wrote:

I'm currently looking at bathroom mirrors, and I like the idea of just a
plain frameless one (about 600x400mm). However I don't like the fixing
methods of the ones I've looked at so far - on offer seems to be either
drilled holes which you put screws through with chrome caps, or
plastic/metal clips, neither of which I'm keen on the appearance.

What surface are you fixing it to?

The last one I did onto tiles, I simply ran a few beads of silicone over
the back and stuck it on (held in place with some tape until it dried).
To get it off I would simply run a cheese wire behind it to cut through
the silicone.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Robiette

Alex wrote:
This is the kit that I have mirror
does not move
http://www.hib.co.uk/show_products.p...category_id=85

Now that looks ideal - I'll have a search around and see if I can find a
stockist...

Cheers,
Martin
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Robiette

Lobster wrote:
As you're dead set on having invisible fixing, can one ask why you are
so against having it fixed permanently? It wouuld look much better that
way anyway as the mirror would be flush on the wall rather than sitting
proud and/or maybe tilted where it hangs? Most people have a mirror in
the bathroom, and it's not going to be so expensive that you can't
afford to leave it behind when you move...

David

The only reason I want to have it removable is so I can replace it
easily if it gets broken for any reason or I fancy a change. I don't
want to glue it onto my nice new tiles and than have a bugger of a job
getting the adhesive off if I need to remove it for any reason! Just
like to have the flexibility.

The fixing kit suggested by another poster looks like the answer...

Cheers,
Martin
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Robiette

John Rumm wrote:

What surface are you fixing it to?

The last one I did onto tiles, I simply ran a few beads of silicone over
the back and stuck it on (held in place with some tape until it dried).
To get it off I would simply run a cheese wire behind it to cut through
the silicone.

Yup, tiles as well.
Now that sounds like a good Plan B - never thought of silicone. If I
can't find the aforementioned fixing kit I might give that a go.

Cheers,
Martin
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 23:57:44 GMT, Martin Robiette
wrote:

Now that sounds like a good Plan B - never thought of silicone.

If you apply silicone to a metallised mirror then you'll etch through
the silvering. "Bathroom grade" mirrors have a plastic coating that
avoids this, and these days almost all mirrors are coated like this.
Easier though is to use a non-acidic mastic that's sold as suitable for
mirrors - Screwfix do one.