Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Default Any combis that can use a lined chimney as a flue?

I asked something similar a couple of weeks ago and have followed-up on
various sites but so far drawn a blank.
Does anyone know of a Combi that could be fitted in a ground floor
cupboard next to a 2 storey chimney breast with the flue going up the
chimney breast? There is currently a Baxi back boiler fitted.
How would the flue liner be installed? there's no access to the first
floor flat.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
nv

In ,
Dave scribed:
I asked something similar a couple of weeks ago and have followed-up on
various sites but so far drawn a blank.
Does anyone know of a Combi that could be fitted in a ground floor
cupboard next to a 2 storey chimney breast with the flue going up the
chimney breast? There is currently a Baxi back boiler fitted.
How would the flue liner be installed? there's no access to the first
floor flat.

Dave

Combis have sealed (to room) combustion chambers, so need to *ingest* clean,
oxygenated air as well as *expell* burned, de-oxygenated gases through the
same flue. As a result, the flues are double walled, creating separate
conduits for clean and burned air. Do you see where this is leading? ;-)

hth
Nigel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:38:05 GMT, "nv" wrote:

|In ,
|Dave scribed:
| I asked something similar a couple of weeks ago and have followed-up on
| various sites but so far drawn a blank.
| Does anyone know of a Combi that could be fitted in a ground floor
| cupboard next to a 2 storey chimney breast with the flue going up the
| chimney breast? There is currently a Baxi back boiler fitted.
| How would the flue liner be installed? there's no access to the first
| floor flat.
|
| Dave
|
|Combis have sealed (to room) combustion chambers, so need to *ingest* clean,
|oxygenated air as well as *expell* burned, de-oxygenated gases through the
|same flue. As a result, the flues are double walled, creating separate
|conduits for clean and burned air. Do you see where this is leading? ;-)

A long double walled flue up the existing chimney.
Combis normally have lots of different flue fittings. So does the proposed
combi have the appropriate fittings and does it allow a sufficiently long
vertical flue. *read the manual* which may be on line.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

nv wrote:
In ,
Dave scribed:

I asked something similar a couple of weeks ago and have followed-up on
various sites but so far drawn a blank.
Does anyone know of a Combi that could be fitted in a ground floor
cupboard next to a 2 storey chimney breast with the flue going up the
chimney breast? There is currently a Baxi back boiler fitted.
How would the flue liner be installed? there's no access to the first
floor flat.

Dave

Combis have sealed (to room) combustion chambers, so need to *ingest* clean,
oxygenated air as well as *expell* burned, de-oxygenated gases through the
same flue. As a result, the flues are double walled, creating separate
conduits for clean and burned air. Do you see where this is leading? ;-)

hth
Nigel

Thanks, but I was aware of that. I assume that some combis are spec'd to
work with a long balanced flue but I haven't been able to find one by
poking around on the web. I was hoping that someone on here might be
able to point me at a suitable boiler and explain HTH I might get the
flue into the chimney.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:16:49 +0000 (UTC) Dave wrote :
Thanks, but I was aware of that. I assume that some combis are spec'd to
work with a long balanced flue but I haven't been able to find one by
poking around on the web. I was hoping that someone on here might be
able to point me at a suitable boiler and explain HTH I might get the
flue into the chimney.

Keston now do a combi that needs 2 x 50mm muPVC pipes for air inlet and
flue. According to the instructions you can run them up a disused chimney
but how easy that would be to do in practice is another matter.

http://www.keston.co.uk/C36.html

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nv

In ,
Dave scribed:

Thanks, but I was aware of that. I assume that some combis are spec'd to
work with a long balanced flue but I haven't been able to find one by
poking around on the web. I was hoping that someone on here might be
able to point me at a suitable boiler and explain HTH I might get the
flue into the chimney.

Dave

My apologies, Dave. I read your OP to mean that you wondered if you could
just use the chimney as a surrogate flue. ;-)

Best of luck
Nigel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Ed Sirett wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:16:07 +0000, Tony Bryer wrote:

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:16:49 +0000 (UTC) Dave wrote :

Thanks, but I was aware of that. I assume that some combis are spec'd to
work with a long balanced flue but I haven't been able to find one by
poking around on the web. I was hoping that someone on here might be
able to point me at a suitable boiler and explain HTH I might get the
flue into the chimney.

Keston now do a combi that needs 2 x 50mm muPVC pipes for air inlet and
flue. According to the instructions you can run them up a disused chimney
but how easy that would be to do in practice is another matter.

http://www.keston.co.uk/C36.html

The chimney would have to be dead straight. The liner would have to go
just to make the installation possible.

BTW how are you going to deal with the condensate?

The plan for the condensate was to pump it. The cupboard currently
contains a DHW cylinder and a header tank for the primary circuit so I
was going to use the existing overflow pipe from the header tank - mmm,
but this just vents into the garden and the only drain that's available
goes to a soakaway - maybe not a good idea after all.

Possibly back to plan A: keep the back boiler and vented primary and fit
a small thermal store or pressurised DHW cylinder.

Dave