Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y
cs

Default Loft ladder question: wood vs. aluminium

A couple of small questions regarding loft ladders. I need to install
one as the only access I have today to my loft is via a small hatch and
ladders put on top of our granite kitchen worktop, hardly safe nor
something that pleases the wife...

The choice seems to be very much folding wood vs. sliding aluminium
ladders. The folding ones (like most wood ladders) don't need any
vertical or horizontal clearance which is great from a loft storage etc.
point of view, while the sliding type (like most aluminium ladders) need
70-100cm vertical and ~150cm horizontal clearance in the loft. That
space is not an issue for me, so I am free choose whatever suits my
personal likings best.

What bothers me about the wooden ones is the weight: we appear to be
talking 30kg for a wooden ladder vs. 15kg for a comparable aluminium
one. I presume this also translate into an equivalent ease (or not) when
it comes to raise/lower the ladder as well, although all are spring
counterbalanced that only would help to close the hatch, not to actually
lift the first half or two thirds off the ground and slide it up or fold
it together. So from the ability of the average person to lower/raise
the ladders, how much of an issue is this?

When it comes to sturdiness ("wobble")I suspect wood will have the edge,
is that correct?

And what are folks' opinion about the steel or aluminium concertina
ladders, particularly regarding sturdiness and ease or use?

Thanks in advance!!!