Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default Loft ladder question: wood vs. aluminium

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 20:57:28 +0000 (UTC), cs
wrote:

A couple of small questions regarding loft ladders. I need to install
one as the only access I have today to my loft is via a small hatch and
ladders put on top of our granite kitchen worktop, hardly safe nor
something that pleases the wife...

The choice seems to be very much folding wood vs. sliding aluminium
ladders. The folding ones (like most wood ladders) don't need any
vertical or horizontal clearance which is great from a loft storage etc.
point of view, while the sliding type (like most aluminium ladders) need
70-100cm vertical and ~150cm horizontal clearance in the loft. That
space is not an issue for me, so I am free choose whatever suits my
personal likings best.

What bothers me about the wooden ones is the weight: we appear to be
talking 30kg for a wooden ladder vs. 15kg for a comparable aluminium
one. I presume this also translate into an equivalent ease (or not) when
it comes to raise/lower the ladder as well, although all are spring
counterbalanced that only would help to close the hatch, not to actually
lift the first half or two thirds off the ground and slide it up or fold
it together. So from the ability of the average person to lower/raise
the ladders, how much of an issue is this?

When it comes to sturdiness ("wobble")I suspect wood will have the edge,
is that correct?

And what are folks' opinion about the steel or aluminium concertina
ladders, particularly regarding sturdiness and ease or use?

Thanks in advance!!!

I've had both the aluminium and the folding wooden ones.

I tend to access the loft fairly regularly for storage purposes and to
access servers etc. which live there.

Frankly, the aluminium ones are rubbish if you need to access the loft
regularly. A lot of space is wasted, they are wobbly and the narrow
treads hurt the feet.

In these respects, the wooden ones are far superior.

On the wooden ones, the springs are intended to pretty much
counterbalance the weight of the folded three sections and the hatch
lid. Basically, when you release the catch, this lot will drop about
25cm and that's it. You can very easily take the weight to let it
drop that distance gently, but even if you don't, nothing bad happens.

You then pull the whole thing gently down to the hatch open position
against the springs. The lower two sections weigh, at a guess, 8kg
or so and those are the only pieces where you have to take the weight,
although even part of that is on the hinges.

In short, I don't see sprung wooden loft ladders as having weight
problems.

One thing that I did do to protect the floor (we have oak flooring on
the landing) was to attach a piece of wood to the bottom of the ladder
-i.e. like an extra tread right on the bottom. I glued a piece of
rubber industrial flooring material to this. That way, the load is
spread and the surface is protected. I tried a piece of carpet
originally but this slid around. Certainly if you are resting the
ladder onto a granite worktop I would recommend something similar to
a) prevent sliding and b) protect the worktop.

Before buying, check the height. Is the room high to begin with?
Otherwise, if it's the standard 2.X metres and you are starting at
worktop level, a three section ladder might not work. Height is
adjusted by cutting off a piece of the bottom section. You could cut
off almost all of it, I suppose, but best to check before buying.

--

..andy