Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

Default Loft ladder question: wood vs. aluminium

"cs" wrote in message
A couple of small questions regarding loft ladders. I need to install one
as the only access I have today to my loft is via a small hatch and ladders
put on top of our granite kitchen worktop, hardly safe nor something that
pleases the wife...

The choice seems to be very much folding wood vs. sliding aluminium
ladders. The folding ones (like most wood ladders) don't need any vertical
or horizontal clearance which is great from a loft storage etc. point of
view, while the sliding type (like most aluminium ladders) need 70-100cm
vertical and ~150cm horizontal clearance in the loft. That space is not an
issue for me, so I am free choose whatever suits my personal likings best.

What bothers me about the wooden ones is the weight: we appear to be
talking 30kg for a wooden ladder vs. 15kg for a comparable aluminium one.
I presume this also translate into an equivalent ease (or not) when it
comes to raise/lower the ladder as well, although all are spring
counterbalanced that only would help to close the hatch, not to actually
lift the first half or two thirds off the ground and slide it up or fold
it together. So from the ability of the average person to lower/raise the
ladders, how much of an issue is this?

When it comes to sturdiness ("wobble")I suspect wood will have the edge,
is that correct?

And what are folks' opinion about the steel or aluminium concertina
ladders, particularly regarding sturdiness and ease or use?

Thanks in advance!!!

In my experience wood is heavy and aluminium is noisy. I'm always surprised
at the strength and stability of our two-part aluminium one and am not sorry
that we bought it to replace the wooden one, which I found clumsy and heavy.

But that was more than twenty years ago, things might have changed. Ours
still supports me while I'm carrying heavy weights, which is quite a
challenge!

Mary