Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony

Default Towel Rad Valves

I wish to put a wall mounted towel rad in the bathroom, All the ones
I've seen in B&Q seem to have the valves pointing forward, away from
the wall, I have a 4 year old daughter who would undoubtedly knock
against these ( ouch! ).. Is there any alternative valves that point
downwards and are therefore not sticking out..

... Tony
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony wrote:
I wish to put a wall mounted towel rad in the bathroom, All the ones
I've seen in B&Q seem to have the valves pointing forward, away from
the wall, I have a 4 year old daughter who would undoubtedly knock
against these ( ouch! ).. Is there any alternative valves that point
downwards and are therefore not sticking out..

.. Tony

Mine used standard radiator valves and these point out to the sides.
Inlet and outlet of the rad were on the bottom.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

I wish to put a wall mounted towel rad in the bathroom, All the ones
I've seen in B&Q seem to have the valves pointing forward, away from
the wall, I have a 4 year old daughter who would undoubtedly knock
against these ( ouch! ).. Is there any alternative valves that point
downwards and are therefore not sticking out..

The valves aren't usually included, although B&Q may have a policy of
supplying them, I don't know. You can usually point them in any direction
when you install them. Or do you mean you want right angle valves that don't
jut out?

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 16:52:16 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

I wish to put a wall mounted towel rad in the bathroom, All the ones
I've seen in B&Q seem to have the valves pointing forward, away from
the wall, I have a 4 year old daughter who would undoubtedly knock
against these ( ouch! ).. Is there any alternative valves that point
downwards and are therefore not sticking out..

The valves aren't usually included, although B&Q may have a policy of
supplying them, I don't know. You can usually point them in any direction
when you install them. Or do you mean you want right angle valves that don't
jut out?

Christian.

I suppose I mean ones that run parallel to the wall, are these right
angled?

... Tony
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

wrote:

I wish to put a wall mounted towel rad in the bathroom, All the ones
I've seen in B&Q seem to have the valves pointing forward, away from
the wall, I have a 4 year old daughter who would undoubtedly knock
against these ( ouch! ).. Is there any alternative valves that point
downwards and are therefore not sticking out..

The valves aren't usually included, although B&Q may have a policy of
supplying them, I don't know. You can usually point them in any
direction when you install them. Or do you mean you want right angle
valves that don't jut out?

Christian.

I suppose I mean ones that run parallel to the wall, are these right
angled?

.. Tony

Assuming that the connections in the towel rad face downwards, if you use
in-line valves like http://tinyurl.com/duhwn and take the pipes straight
down through the floor, you can rotate the valve body about a vertical axis
to face in any direction you like - including pointing at each other within
the plane of the radiator if you wish.

If the ones you saw stuck out into the room, they must have been
right-angled ones - more like http://tinyurl.com/a6fz2 - configured to take
the pipes straight back through the wall.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Set Square wrote:

Assuming that the connections in the towel rad face downwards, if you use
in-line valves like http://tinyurl.com/duhwn and take the pipes straight
down through the floor, you can rotate the valve body about a vertical axis
to face in any direction you like - including pointing at each other within
the plane of the radiator if you wish.

If the ones you saw stuck out into the room, they must have been
right-angled ones - more like http://tinyurl.com/a6fz2 - configured to take
the pipes straight back through the wall.
--
Cheers,
Set Square
______

Yep, looks like the latter, I'm intending the CH pipes to be comming
from the wall ( I've been told by the missus ).. Looks like I'll just
have to accept that they will stick out a little,

Anyhows I'll look for some low profile valves..

Cheers

... Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

Set Square wrote:

If the ones you saw stuck out into the room, they must have been
right-angled ones - more like
http://tinyurl.com/a6fz2 - configured
to take the pipes straight back through the wall.

Yep, looks like the latter, I'm intending the CH pipes to be comming
from the wall ( I've been told by the missus ).. Looks like I'll just
have to accept that they will stick out a little,

You can actually get some valves which have compression joints both ends -
so you can choose which bit connects to the supply pipe and which bit to the
radiator tail. [So on a conventional rad with horizontal connections, the
handwheel can either face upwards, or out sideways].

If you use this sort on your towel rad, you should be able to end up with
the gubbins facing downwards within the plane of the rad rather than out
into the room.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

You can actually get some valves which have compression joints both ends -
so you can choose which bit connects to the supply pipe and which bit to

the
radiator tail. [So on a conventional rad with horizontal connections, the
handwheel can either face upwards, or out sideways].

Indeed. I happen to have exactly this situation. I want my new rad tails to
go into the wall (to make an easier job when fitting the oak flooring). The
valves I have bought are compression both ends, so that the valve head can
stick out sideways. I don't know if all valves are like this these days.

However, mine were

http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/s...r_Valves_.html

Discount CP Wheel Head/Lock Shield Valve(Reference #87)

In case you are looking for a suitable part.

Christian.