Posted to uk.d-i-y
Highland Grace

Default New cooker - questions for all you wise wise people!

Hello

Firstly - can I just say thanks in advance for help

Moving into a house where we are pulling out & replacing kitchen -
previous cooker is all electric, however we want to put in an electric
oven / gas hob.

Q1. We are not sure if there is a gas point at all. How difficult / how
much would it be to get a Corgi man out to put one in? There is already
gas central heating in the house. And how much would he charge to fit
the hob?

Q2. Would we have to have the worktop cut & ready for him coming? (How
sexist - it may well be a lady ....sorry if I have offended anyone!!)

Q3. I am assuming that it will be easy enough to fit the electric oven
.....?

Q4. What kind of fan / extracter etc will we need by law? We do have a
window but the cooker can't go on the same wall as it i.e to take air
outside.

Thank you so much!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Highland Grace wrote:

Moving into a house where we are pulling out & replacing kitchen -
previous cooker is all electric, however we want to put in an electric
oven / gas hob.

Q1. We are not sure if there is a gas point at all. How difficult / how
much would it be to get a Corgi man out to put one in? There is already
gas central heating in the house. And how much would he charge to fit
the hob?

Depends on how far the existing gas supply is from where you want the
hob fitting, and how complicated the route will be for the new pipework.
If it's any help, I recently paid about 200 quid to have a gas hob and
gas oven fitted, where there was a gas pipe feeding a boiler on the
adjacent wall; this also included a landlord's gas certificate which you
wouldn't need.

Q2. Would we have to have the worktop cut & ready for him coming? (How
sexist - it may well be a lady ....sorry if I have offended anyone!!)

Definitely. You certainly want to avoid him having to come back and
hitting you with a second callout charge if it's not ready (and sexist
or not, I have yet to be visited by a female gas fitter!)

Q3. I am assuming that it will be easy enough to fit the electric oven

Most likely, yes. The only problem I can think of is that if you are
haven't already got a dedicated cooker circuit (which is unlikely if you
were previously all-electric) and if the oven you want to fit is one
which requires a dedicated circuit (usually obvious because it won't
come with a 13A plug attached, but needs checking).

Q4. What kind of fan / extracter etc will we need by law? We do have a
window but the cooker can't go on the same wall as it i.e to take air
outside.

By law, nothing as far as I'm aware, because you are refurbishing an
existing kitchen and if you don't already have an extractor you aren't
forced to fit one. NB however there are separate rules due to fitting a
gas appliance, especially if it's a very small kitchen - see the
gas-fitting FAQ at:
http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFitting.html

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock

"Lobster" wrote in message
news
Highland Grace wrote:

snip:

Q3. I am assuming that it will be easy enough to fit the electric
oven

Most likely, yes. The only problem I can think of is that if you
are haven't already got a dedicated cooker circuit (which is
unlikely if you were previously all-electric) and if the oven you
want to fit is one which requires a dedicated circuit (usually
obvious because it won't come with a 13A plug attached, but needs
checking).

Assuming that you referring to a 'built-in' electric oven: -
You will need a housing unit secured to the wall and with an
aperture suitable to house the oven.
IIRC there should be a cooker outlet within the housing unit
confines to connect the oven's cable to AND there
must be a switch -within a certain distance (2 mtr?) to isolate
the oven's electrics.
One further point; - read the installation instructions.!
I discovered (!) afterwards that the doors of my
oven came off quite readily AND THEY ARE VERY HEAVY
(but with a 'knack' shown in the manual) which would have
made it an easy lift rather than the 'superman' lift that I nearly
killed myself attempting.
BTW, I placed the oven on a workmate then 'eased' it into
the housing aperture.

HTH

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On 8 Jan 2006 07:51:23 -0800 someone who may be "Highland Grace"
wrote this:-

Q3. I am assuming that it will be easy enough to fit the electric oven
....?

That depends on how easy it is:-)

1) You need a suitable circuit. If there is not one (to the right
place) then there is much to be said for fitting a 30/32A (or even
45A) one, to allow future flexibility in fitting electric hobs/ovens
and the like. Fitting a 30/32A circuit will be little more expensive
than fitting a 15A or 20A one (which would cover a single oven and
perhaps a double oven). Fitting a 45A circuit will be somewhat more
expensive, unless the cooker is very close to the consumer unit.

2) The circuit will need to incorporate a two pole switch, within 2m
of the oven.

3) The traditional outlet from the circuit is a cooker connection
unit, essentially a terminal block behind a cover. However, if you
are only fitting a relatively small oven then a fused connection
unit is a good alternative, to ensure the oven and wiring is
properly protected.

4) Switches with socket outlets in them are a throwback to the days
of old. It is best to provide sockets as part of a ring main.

5) While it is, in theory, permissible to wire a relatively small
oven (up to 16A) into a ring main, this is nearly always a bad idea.
Kitchen ring mains tend to be heavily loaded with washing equipment
and kettles anyway, adding another heavy and steady load to the ring
is not a good idea.

6) You need a suitable cabinet to hold the oven. You also need a
suitable means of getting the oven into the cabinet (and possibly
out). They are heavy things.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Lobster wrote:
Highland Grace wrote:

Q4. What kind of fan / extracter etc will we need by law? We do have a
window but the cooker can't go on the same wall as it i.e to take air
outside.

By law, nothing as far as I'm aware, because you are refurbishing an
existing kitchen and if you don't already have an extractor you aren't
forced to fit one. NB however there are separate rules due to fitting a
gas appliance, especially if it's a very small kitchen - see the
gas-fitting FAQ at:
http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFitting.html

[sorry HG, I wrote and sent the following immediately after the above,
but for some reason it got hung up in my outbox!]

I forgot to mention that I think you'd be very well advised to add an
extractor of some sort anyway, eg a cooker hood extracting through the
wall? The building regs were updated in that regard for good reason!
Don't muck about with a 'recirculating' cooker hood which contains very
expensive charcoal filters and does nothing about ventilation anyway.
They aren't difficult to fit, especially so if your hob's on an outside
wall.

David

Need to find a Realtor. No questions asked. Sometimes the agents are rated by people like you realtyrators Home Ownership 0 February 25th 05 04:26 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM