Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Default New cooker - questions for all you wise wise people!

Lobster wrote:
Highland Grace wrote:

Q4. What kind of fan / extracter etc will we need by law? We do have a
window but the cooker can't go on the same wall as it i.e to take air
outside.

By law, nothing as far as I'm aware, because you are refurbishing an
existing kitchen and if you don't already have an extractor you aren't
forced to fit one. NB however there are separate rules due to fitting a
gas appliance, especially if it's a very small kitchen - see the
gas-fitting FAQ at:
http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFitting.html

[sorry HG, I wrote and sent the following immediately after the above,
but for some reason it got hung up in my outbox!]

I forgot to mention that I think you'd be very well advised to add an
extractor of some sort anyway, eg a cooker hood extracting through the
wall? The building regs were updated in that regard for good reason!
Don't muck about with a 'recirculating' cooker hood which contains very
expensive charcoal filters and does nothing about ventilation anyway.
They aren't difficult to fit, especially so if your hob's on an outside
wall.

David