Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

Default Halogen down lighters - spacing for kitchen

Hi

I was wondering if there are any guidelines as to how close together
these need to be for a kitchen where we will have an approx. 4m run of
work top in an L shape with no wall cupboards.

I am considering the mains voltage 50W type, and want a bright working
area.

TIA
--
Mark
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Mark writes:
Hi

I was wondering if there are any guidelines as to how close together
these need to be for a kitchen where we will have an approx. 4m run of
work top in an L shape with no wall cupboards.

I am considering the mains voltage 50W type, and want a bright working
area.

Oh dear.
I suggest you read back through earlier threads on halogen
downlighters before going that route ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:
Hi

I was wondering if there are any guidelines as to how close together
these need to be for a kitchen where we will have an approx. 4m run of
work top in an L shape with no wall cupboards.

I am considering the mains voltage 50W type, and want a bright working
area.

TIA

If I may suggest, these arent one of the best possible choices. If you
want the look of halogen downlights you'd do better to use 20w
halogens, and make up the remaining light level with CFLs.

As Andrew said, google, groups, uk.d-i-y for the problems with them.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 19:45:31 GMT, Mark wrote:

Hi

I was wondering if there are any guidelines as to how close together
these need to be for a kitchen where we will have an approx. 4m run of
work top in an L shape with no wall cupboards.

I am considering the mains voltage 50W type, and want a bright working
area.

TIA

For gods sake get LV and save yourself from expensive bulb replacements
every fortnight. Every person I know with mains halogens hates the bloody
things and has ripped them out - when you end up with half the lights blown
every two months...so will you.

How does 4 years average lifetime in a busy are grab you on my 50W LV
spots? And bulb price less than half the mains ones?

I would put about 1 every meter frankly. Over the worktop. For general
lighting 2-5 square meters per bulb, and get wide angle ones. Eyeball
firttings enable you to use a bit less, by allowing you to set where the
bright patches are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

On 8 Jan 2006 12:48:47 -0800, wrote:

Mark wrote:
Hi

I was wondering if there are any guidelines as to how close together
these need to be for a kitchen where we will have an approx. 4m run of
work top in an L shape with no wall cupboards.

I am considering the mains voltage 50W type, and want a bright working
area.

TIA

If I may suggest, these arent one of the best possible choices. If you
want the look of halogen downlights you'd do better to use 20w
halogens, and make up the remaining light level with CFLs.

As Andrew said, google, groups, uk.d-i-y for the problems with them.

NT

I have only two problems with mine, and they are electricity consumption,
and I didn;t put enough in perhaps.

Everyone who has used mains ones I know wishes they hadn't, but I am well
chuffed with the LV ones.

Compared with Her mood lighting wall mounted candle bulbs, which blow a
bulb a week, I am replacing LV spots in similar illumination areas at the
rate of 3 or 4 a year only. I reaplaced 6 40W candles last month
alone...and so far they have blown two dimmers (now uprated )and have a 75%
sucess rate in triping a 6A MCB when they blow...

If you are mean and green, use CFL's - but if you want the best lighting
quality and accurate illumination, LV halogens are very very good. Mine
even dim bless them.Do your sums on electricoity consumption, capital cost
and MTBF and make up your own mind.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 02:19:10 +0000 The Natural Philosopher wrote :
If you are mean and green, use CFL's - but if you want the best
lighting quality and accurate illumination, LV halogens are very very
good. Mine even dim bless them.Do your sums on electricoity
consumption, capital cost and MTBF and make up your own mind.

I guess I'm mean and green but think these halogen spots (mains or LV) to
be a stupid affectation. The more so since my mother had the bright idea
of getting the 2 x 4' fluorescents in her kitchen changed to 2 x 4 x 50W
mains halogen spots and I'm the one who gets to change the bulbs. Nasty
light with hard shadows in front of you just where you are working (of
course due to the fittings being centre ceiling) and costing five times
as much in energy and lamp replacements.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just fitted 6 times 50W LV recessed lights last weekend. Very pleased
with result.
Spacing about 1m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mitchd

[...]

I use 1.2 to 1.5m spacing, i have fitted loads of mains voltage halogen
on diff jobs, 50w lamps cost £2 each last app 1 year in my own kitchen
7 lights for 6x3m floor area, I use "task lighting" for worktop areas,
linkable striplights screwfix No 98307, don't like lv downlights 50/50
chance transformer or lamp wiil blow first