Posted to uk.d-i-y
mitchd

Default Halogen down lighters - spacing for kitchen

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 19:45:31 GMT, Mark wrote:

Hi

I was wondering if there are any guidelines as to how close together
these need to be for a kitchen where we will have an approx. 4m run of
work top in an L shape with no wall cupboards.

I am considering the mains voltage 50W type, and want a bright working
area.

TIA

For gods sake get LV and save yourself from expensive bulb replacements
every fortnight. Every person I know with mains halogens hates the bloody
things and has ripped them out - when you end up with half the lights blown
every two months...so will you.

How does 4 years average lifetime in a busy are grab you on my 50W LV
spots? And bulb price less than half the mains ones?

I would put about 1 every meter frankly. Over the worktop. For general
lighting 2-5 square meters per bulb, and get wide angle ones. Eyeball
firttings enable you to use a bit less, by allowing you to set where the
bright patches are.

I use 1.2 to 1.5m spacing, i have fitted loads of mains voltage halogen
on diff jobs, 50w lamps cost £2 each last app 1 year in my own kitchen
7 lights for 6x3m floor area, I use "task lighting" for worktop areas,
linkable striplights screwfix No 98307, don't like lv downlights 50/50
chance transformer or lamp wiil blow first