Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

Default Halogen down lighters - spacing for kitchen

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 02:19:10 +0000 The Natural Philosopher wrote :
If you are mean and green, use CFL's - but if you want the best
lighting quality and accurate illumination, LV halogens are very very
good. Mine even dim bless them.Do your sums on electricoity
consumption, capital cost and MTBF and make up your own mind.

I guess I'm mean and green but think these halogen spots (mains or LV) to
be a stupid affectation. The more so since my mother had the bright idea
of getting the 2 x 4' fluorescents in her kitchen changed to 2 x 4 x 50W
mains halogen spots and I'm the one who gets to change the bulbs. Nasty
light with hard shadows in front of you just where you are working (of
course due to the fittings being centre ceiling) and costing five times
as much in energy and lamp replacements.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]