Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

Default Strictly come dancing washing machine

Hi All

My washing machine is going mad again. On the spin cycle it vibrates like
mad and moves across the conservatory floor. Especially annoying when it
vibrates its way in front of the door from the kitchen so you cant open it!

I've levelled it so often that I now keep a level in the conservatory! It's
OK for a while then it goes back to doing a walkabout.

Initial thoughts are that it may be the flooring. Laminate on a chipboard
sub floor. Very hard, very smooth.

I have thought of bolting/fixing the thing down, but I feel that might just
shift the vibration somewhere else and damage springs/dampers. Would that
be the case?

Would it help if I put some kind of rubber matting under it?

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

david lang wrote:
Hi All

My washing machine is going mad again. On the spin cycle it vibrates like
mad and moves across the conservatory floor. Especially annoying when it
vibrates its way in front of the door from the kitchen so you cant open it!

either fix/replace the dampers or add more damping to the top of the
drum. The latter is not per original spec but is easier.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
john

david lang wrote:
Hi All

My washing machine is going mad again. On the spin cycle it vibrates like
mad and moves across the conservatory floor. Especially annoying when it
vibrates its way in front of the door from the kitchen so you cant open it!

I've levelled it so often that I now keep a level in the conservatory! It's
OK for a while then it goes back to doing a walkabout.

Initial thoughts are that it may be the flooring. Laminate on a chipboard
sub floor. Very hard, very smooth.

I have thought of bolting/fixing the thing down, but I feel that might just
shift the vibration somewhere else and damage springs/dampers. Would that
be the case?

Would it help if I put some kind of rubber matting under it?

Dave

Unbalance might be due to a half empty loads. Try filling the drum to
the max reasonable level and see if it stops vibrating.

john
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Scott

"david lang" wrote in message
.uk...
Hi All

My washing machine is going mad again. On the spin cycle it vibrates like
mad and moves across the conservatory floor. Especially annoying when it
vibrates its way in front of the door from the kitchen so you cant open
it!

I've levelled it so often that I now keep a level in the conservatory!
It's OK for a while then it goes back to doing a walkabout.

Initial thoughts are that it may be the flooring. Laminate on a chipboard
sub floor. Very hard, very smooth.

I have thought of bolting/fixing the thing down, but I feel that might
just shift the vibration somewhere else and damage springs/dampers. Would
that be the case?

Would it help if I put some kind of rubber matting under it?

If the dancing is because of the smooth floor rather than excessive
vibration one
of those sticky mats cut up to go under each foot might work. B&Q do it in
a roll. Not lovely though. Depends if the appearance matters.

Peter Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y
john

"Peter Scott" wrote in message
om...

"david lang" wrote in message
[...]

Having the weight equal on all 4 feet is much more important than "Level".
It could be level with only 3 feet bearing the weight - it would then dance
around when it spins. Try rocking it and adjusting the feet to stop any
rock. You may have been raising one corner to bring it level without
balancing the load onto the other adjustable foot.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

david lang wrote:
Hi All

My washing machine is going mad again. On the spin cycle it vibrates
like mad and moves across the conservatory floor. Especially
annoying when it vibrates its way in front of the door from the
kitchen so you cant open it!

I've levelled it so often that I now keep a level in the
conservatory! It's OK for a while then it goes back to doing a
walkabout.

Initial thoughts are that it may be the flooring. Laminate on a
chipboard sub floor. Very hard, very smooth.

I have thought of bolting/fixing the thing down, but I feel that
might just shift the vibration somewhere else and damage
springs/dampers. Would that be the case?

Would it help if I put some kind of rubber matting under it?

Dave

Balance and leveling is the key which has been pointed out but if you need
to fix it down get some half inch x two inch wood and make a square for the
machine to sit on so that the feet of the machine are inside the wood then
screw wood down to floor.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
[snip]

Balance and leveling is the key which has been pointed out but if you
need to fix it down get some half inch x two inch wood and make a
square for the machine to sit on so that the feet of the machine are
inside the wood then screw wood down to floor.

Something else you might of overlooked?
See if the ballast blocks are tight?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek ^

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 13:19:34 GMT, "david lang"
wrote:

Hi All

My washing machine is going mad again. On the spin cycle it vibrates like
mad and moves across the conservatory floor. Especially annoying when it
vibrates its way in front of the door from the kitchen so you cant open it!

I've levelled it so often that I now keep a level in the conservatory! It's
OK for a while then it goes back to doing a walkabout.

You could fasten it with a safety chain (Intended for gas cookers on
flexible connections, pennies from B&Q).

Initial thoughts are that it may be the flooring. Laminate on a chipboard
sub floor. Very hard, very smooth.

Not the floor surface, maybe the floor itself.

Try standing it on a single 2" thick concrete paving stone, it worked
for me once. It will alter the frequency the springy floor resonates
at, and might even make the floor solidy bottom out against whatever
constrains it.

I have thought of bolting/fixing the thing down, but I feel that might just
shift the vibration somewhere else and damage springs/dampers. Would that
be the case?

Would it help if I put some kind of rubber matting under it?

Absolutely not. that's just adding more springyness.

DG
Posted to uk.d-i-y
john

Having the weight equal on all 4 feet is much more important than "Level".
It could be level with only 3 feet bearing the weight - it would then dance
around when it spins. Try rocking it and adjusting the feet to stop any
rock. You may have been raising one corner to bring it level without
balancing the load onto the other adjustable foot

David - let us know how you get on and what worked for you.

John

Built in washing machine antgel UK diy 4 March 15th 05 10:57 AM
Zanussi FL1012 Washing Machine fault James UK diy 5 August 4th 04 01:45 PM
blocks of stuff in drain out of washing machine dave @ stejonda UK diy 7 July 23rd 04 01:09 AM
Box/Valve to prevent washing machine hose break and flooding? kevins_news2 Home Repair 19 April 27th 04 05:16 PM
walking washing machine Kerry Hoskin UK diy 10 February 29th 04 11:15 PM